Red Label 400 Grit Ceramic Belts

Just out of curiosity (because I like the finish on the knife I have that you made) what is your progression while hand sanding?
Hi Chris. I'm not sure if I used the same sanding progression on your knife that I'm using now. On the grinder it's 60,120,220,A45 and A30. I'll start hand sanding at 400. Sometimes I have to drop back to 220. Then 400,600,800. After the final grit I polish with flitz a couple of times.

I think the rub with the high grit ceramic may be the need to run fast for the ceramic part but the desire to run slow for reducing finishing mistakes.

I use Rhino sandpaper. Pops has the best price I’ve found. This is my progress- 120, 180, 220, 320, 400. I’ll do 600 &800 if needed. After that I use a gray scotch brute pad to achieve a satin finish.
You're right opaul I use Rhino paper too and Pop's has the best price. Your progression has a couple more grits than mine. 180 and 320. I haven't used the grey scotch pad. I might give those a try. I certainly like the finish you have on your blades.

Do either of you try to use the grinder to get your scratch marks running the length of the blade before you transition to hand sanding?

Do either of you try to use the grinder to get your scratch marks running the length of the blade before you transition to hand sanding?
I don’t but I have seen makers use a bracket on top of their platen that allows them to do that. Works well with a scotch brite belt finish.

I have tried it on my small wheel and a400-600 grit belt. It seemed to make low spots on some blades. They were not horrible but I know they are there.

Back