Recurve and Saddlehorn Flipper Folders

Greeting everyone,

A while back, I decided that I wanted to make some folding knives, and flippers in particular. In that pursuit, I bought and watched videos by Don Robinson, Allen Elishewitz, Les Voorhis and Tracy Mickley, and I also re-read my copy of The Tactical Folding Knife by Bob Terzuola. Of all the sources I looked to, I have to say that the most helpful were the YouTube videos by Mike Stewart, who post under Ekim Knives (particularly his series entitled How to Make a Folding Knife).

Using [FONT=&amp]Draftsight’s 2D CAD freeware[/FONT], I fleshed out a few designs I came up with. So far I have completed three flippers (and screwed up several others :34:) , in two different styles, a recurve and a saddlehorn. My prototypes have purple G10 handles, as I had a bunch of that laying around. My second saddlehorn has carbon fiber scales, and is a step closer to being a saleable design.

All of the knives I have been working on have titanium handles and caged bearings.

Anyway, here is what I’ve done so far:

My first completed folder, a CPM 20CV Recurve Flipper with purple G10 scales.

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Next, a N690 Saddlehorn Flipper with purple G10 and anodized handles.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] And my latest, a CPM 20CV Flipper with carbon fiber scales, and heat colored handles, screws, and pocket clip.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Jammer Six, the liner is the metal inner part of the handle which supports the blade and keeps the pivot pin, stop pin, and screws in place. On a liner lock like these, one of the liners is cut along its length to form the lock, which is then bent over to engage the back of the blade when open. The handle scales are the outer material attached to the liners, so that you don't have to hold on to the metal liners alone. The liners and the scales combine to make up the handle.

I found this graphic at knifeblog.com
LinerLock1.jpg

Doesn't match what I understood. Do you have anything I can read with a diagram showing the handle, please?

Liner

0568181fcec94d8f05589619c628ff46.png

Liner lock

8a7987bbacd7b4bcd405bce5d3ea0292.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Very nicely done, Chris! Liner locks are my passion and you did a great job on these. You should be proud.

Jammer Six, I found a couple of pages that have images and definitions that might answer your questions. The first is for Folding Knives, and the second is for Fixed Blades.
Thanks, Chris. Both those drawings seem to indicate that the handle is the scales.

Another way of interpreting this conversation and the drawings is that both the liners and the scales are parts of the handles. Would anyone agree with that?

Here's a pic of what I would consider the handle of a liner lock.

WP_20170520_17_36_48_Pro.jpg

The handle is not a single part, but an assembly of the liners, back spacer, scales, and bolsters. It's essentially what you hold on to.

I'm with Brandon. The handle is everything you hold onto. The handle is an assembly in most cases, made of other various parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back