Recommendation wanted for Sanding Belts

firecog

I work primarily with 5160 and D2 and starting to do some blades in 3V and of course I seem to go through belts like crazy or spend way to long shaping my blades. After reading the other thread reagrding the Cubitron belts, I tried to find some to fit my 4x36 sander and came up empty. After a little more research I found that I could get belts in zirconia or ceramic (Shopsmith was the only brand I found in ceramic).
First question: Are the ceramic belts worth the extra cost at about double the price of the zirconia ?
Any recommendations for brands (good or bad) or links to good deals would be appreciated.
I know that maybe the best answer is to get a real belt grinder, but a new sander/grinder is not in the cards right now.

Check with Scott at Tru-Grit Ontario.
I have blaze plus and some 3M Ceramic 6 x 48 that I purchased from them and I think he has some in your belt size of 4 x 36?
I thought ShopSmith were 6 x 48 Machines only? I have one in 6 X 48".

And YES! Ceramic belts are worth the cost! When you get up to five times the life of the belt, Plus They cut much cleaner and way more efficiently than A/O or S/C belts.

I have used 4 x 36" & 6 X 48 Belt sanders and for beveling a large flat grind blade, They work excellent!

The one short coming for me is that their single speed.
My solution to this was to buy a Shop Smith 6 X 48 and mount it on a bench and power it with a 1 1/2" Variable speed Baldor motor I have.

It Works Great! But it's down now from a tension part inside the 6 X 48 . I have to take it apart to fix it and I haven't had the time. But I do have three 2 x 72" Machines so I haven't lost any work!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Back