Re gardening 35vn

gull wing

I know, it has been asked please forgive me,
With s35vn, is the process the same as though it was not previously hardened?
Or is there more steps before you can start?
Thanks

You wanting to plant one and grow a new one? Not sure what you are asking. Do you mean re-grind instead of "re-garden"? If that is what you're asking, you can grind hard S35VN, but it won't be easy, and you'll have to keep it cool as to not ruin the hardness.

Sorry, I was using my Wife's tablet, kind of small for my old hands and I didn't edit very well.
HARDNING Not GRINDING

I want to harden a blade on an existing knife. To get it a little harder.

I have had good results re-heat treating S35VN without any extra cycles required. Having said that, I would note that this steel gets it's edge retention not so much from blade overall hardness as from very hard and wear resistant vanadium and niobium carbides. It doesn't need to be as hard as, for instance, simple carbon steels, to outperform them for wear resistance.

Rob!

Thanks Rob, good to know.

I ask this because I have two knives from the same manufacturer, same grind, same thickness. The one that I like for edge holding is a point harder than the other. I mean the "softer" one gets dull VERY easy. I may be all wet here?

........and lead dog, you will be old one day.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be watching with interest for your results. "...gets dull VERY easy.." suggests something more at play. 1 RHC isn't much - and might be even less (or more) if you took multiple readings and averaged them. Of course, you can't rockwell the edge, so I wonder if there might be some post HT damage to the edge temper? I presume you have been sharpening both, so edge geometry should at least be close to the same.

Keep us posted.

Rob!

I wonder? Glad you brought that up.
Edge geometry is the same, yes. Shoulder is the same thickness as well.

Back