Rat Tail Knife

One

Banned
7 inches OAL.
Precision hand forged from 5160.

The integral bolster sure makes it a lot more comfortable and useful in the hand than the ("Viking woman's knife") type without. It's a nice little nesting spot for the index finger and it makes it a bit more sculptural looking than just flat through the transition.

DSCN1309.JPG

Last edited:
Thats the most beautiful viking women"s knife I have ever seen...!...the coil resting in the radius of the bolster is an awesome detail !!

Ever since I've started watching your work yea these many years ago, you have been a master of flawlessly blending elements from different designs with your own unique style.

As simple as this little thing is, it showcases that perfectly. :)

Thats beautiful Tai. I have one of your blacksmith knives similar to this. The forge work is amazing. I use it to set my standards when forging .

James, I worked on both a little at a time to try and keep the mass as evenly distributed as possible, but finished the rat tail last. If I had drawn the rat tail all the way out first, it would have been awkward to hold with tongs while working on the blade.

Burnt canola oil, fresh out of the quench. Basically, I quenched the blade first, then the handle at a black heat and worked it in and out at around the smoke point. It's similar to the seasoning on a cast iron pan.

Last edited:
Back