Rasp Knife with a Elk Horn Handle

Justin W.

Hey guys here is a blade that I finished up a few days ago those of you who follow my Facebook page have seen it already but I wanted to share it with the rest of KD!

This knife was made for a family friend using a farriers rasp for the blade and elk antler for the horn. This was my first time using antler and it was my first time making a kydex sheath. Thanks for checking it out!IMG_0160.JPGIMG_0168.JPGAttach10957_20190127_133223.jpgAttach10956_20190127_133223.jpg

I havent worked with kydex but something that I wonder about is why there is always such a wide seam. Is it not possible to use smaller rivets and have the seam fold closer to the edge of the blade so making a narrower sheath.

Nice blade!

I havent worked with kydex but something that I wonder about is why there is always such a wide seam. Is it not possible to use smaller rivets and have the seam fold closer to the edge of the blade so making a narrower sheath.

I've often wondered the same thing. Though I just looked at the two kydex pistol holsters I have and they have the same wide seam and rivets. I'd be curious to know also.

I'm sorry that's probably a question best answered by someone else I'm just getting into kydex and I'm not real sure

I didn't intend to derail your thread. I was thinking out loud. Bad habit of mine. A new thread about the properties of kydex I'm sure would be a better place to address this.

I didn't intend to derail your thread. I was thinking out loud. Bad habit of mine. A new thread about the properties of kydex I'm sure would be a better place to address this.
You don't have to apologize to me. I'm very interested to here if there's a way to slim these things down :D

Good question. The reason is the hardware used. Most customers who prefer kydex want 1/4 inch eyelets. These allow beaded chain or paracord to be passed through the eyelets. 1/8” eyelets allow for a slightly narrower seam but aren’t nearly as useful as lashing points. 1/4” will also provide clearance for a chicago screw which is handy for attaching a myriad of standard belt loops, clasps, etc which are common in the tactical world.

Good question. The reason is the hardware used. Most customers who prefer kydex want 1/4 inch eyelets. These allow beaded chain or paracord to be passed through the eyelets. 1/8” eyelets allow for a slightly narrower seam but aren’t nearly as useful as lashing points. 1/4” will also provide clearance for a chicago screw which is handy for attaching a myriad of standard belt loops, clasps, etc which are common in the tactical world.
That makes sense thanks John. So alternatively, for those who want a simple hunting knife (maybe with SS and micarta) sheath with the water proofing ability of the kydex but dont necessarily want or need the military type fixing points then it can be made much more compact.

That makes sense thanks John. So alternatively, for those who want a simple hunting knife (maybe with SS and micarta) sheath with the water proofing ability of the kydex but dont necessarily want or need the military type fixing points then it can be made much more compact.

Yes. Exactly right.

Well that's pretty cool I'm gonna have to look into some of those 1/8" rivets at some point

Another way is to use the kydex like leather and do a fold over sheath then you only have one seam and if you use small rivets there the result is smaller.

Lol I built one........kinda

I took a few of those foam shop mats I layered them and glued them together then I set them on my granite plate and put something heavy on top of it once the kydex was in lol. But I don't recommend it I will be making a press before my next sheath

I’m sure it worked just fine. I was just curious. I like the look of the Kydex press that boss dog sells. I was just curious if that’s what you got. I found a good tutorial on building a Kydex press the other day I’ll see if I can find it for you.

Back