Rare earth magnets/neodymium magnets

C Craft

I am on the hunt for some rare earth magnets/neodymium magnets for a project I have going in my shop!

I need some about 2" L X 1/4" W X 1/4" TH I wouldn't think they would be hard to find but I can find 2" in wider width's or if I find the width I want I can't find the length, etc. etc.:les:

Currently I haven't been able to find them in those dimensions! Anyone got a site that I might be able to pick them up from??

K&J has been good for me. I especially like their line with drilled and countersunk holes to make
grinding magnets.

Wow, I really didn't realize how expensive these magnets were!

I figured I wanted to space these out in a pattern for a surface grinder!

Leave a space and then a 1/4" wide magnet and then a space and a magnet 2" L X 1/4" W X 1/4" TH and then a 1/4" space and then another magnet, etc. etc.! I figured about a 2' area. In otherwords about 24 magnets, @ $3.85 ea. that figures out to be $92.40 and I am not sure that includes shipping or not!

Wow, I got to think on this for a bit!

Stabber, I will have to admit I spent most of my life doing carpenter work before I got hurt and knife making and metal work and machinist terms, are still new to me. So I had to look up the term magnetic chuck. The term chuck conquers up images of a drill chuck too me. So when I goggled the term magnetic chuck and I got this definition, ........A workholding device that is used to hold ferrous parts during grinding. Magnetic chucks can be permanent or electromagnetic. The light bulb went on!:les:

So thanks and now I will look into a magnetic chuck, the first images I looked at are spot on. Is there anything to watch out for with a used one?????

Last edited:
You can take some real strong magnets from used HDD drives. The used HDD drives are sold by weight at any recycling facility for computer products. It takes only a torx driver to disassemble th HDD. I hope it's useful.
Try a google search "HDD neodymium magnets".
Norton

Back