Rant

I very much agree. I have joined a couple of other sites where it seemed like new guys were trashed for asking "stupid" questions. I have only been forging for a few months but I have been working metal (pipe welding, pipefitting, metallurgy....) for a living for 20 years. I am learning a new craft but a lot the skills I have translate. This site has by far been the most helpful and welcoming. Keep posting and I will keep reading and maybe i will make a presentable knife before i get to old to swing a hammer!!!!

I have to agree, while I have seen a few wacky things come and go here, I haven't seen some of what I've seen on other forums.
one example is last week on another forum a member claimed to have gotten ripped off $800.00 by another member on a folder deal. thru four pages of that thread other members mocked the guy, called both of them liars, and went on and on until the thread was finally closed. personally, I found it pretty disturbing that one of the members was truly out $800.00 but others seemed to find it funny.

This is the first forum I started reading when trying to learn to make knives. Too poor to buy a 2X72 grinder but I found the plans for Boss's no weld grinder and that led me here. Not sure where I would be or if I would be even making knives without this forum. The help and encourgement from members here make this a great place!!

I very much agree. I have joined a couple of other sites where it seemed like new guys were trashed for asking "stupid" questions. I have only been forging for a few months but I have been working metal (pipe welding, pipefitting, metallurgy....) for a living for 20 years. I am learning a new craft but a lot the skills I have translate. This site has by far been the most helpful and welcoming. Keep posting and I will keep reading and maybe i will make a presentable knife before i get to old to swing a hammer!!!!

This is exactly why I stick around here!! Tons of ridiculously talented people that answer all my stupid questions and don't make me feel like I'm here for their entertainment! I've said this numerous times and recommend this site to all that are looking for a good bunch of people with a common intrest! And now that I know a little more I like to help the people I can too.

My only regret is I wish I would have found this forum before wasting my time on the first 50 or so knives that I made. This forum and the people involved in it have helped me improve my skills immensely. I would not be at this skill level without the assistance that I have received on KD. Thank you Boss Dog and everyone else involved.

An all encompassing home for us here with friends to chat with, information to share and gain from and to top it off a knife materials supply that is a great place to get our knife making needs. My agent has just ordered me another supply of belts and feathering glue to keep me going for a while longer. I had been using the self adhesive discs on my disc sander but they seldom held firm to the disc round the edge for very long and the Boss's tutorial on the feathering glue will make the sandpapers a great deal more user friendly which is just one of the agravating factors relieved by the good advise given so freely here.

Back