Rail Spike

Wade Hougham

Here is a spike knife I finished yesterday. The grip is raw hide with brass spots. The sheath was sent to me by my friend KT.

Attachments

• Spikes 2 023.jpg
    Spikes 2 023.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Spikes 2 024.jpg
    Spikes 2 024.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Spikes 2 025.jpg
    Spikes 2 025.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 69
  • Spikes 2 028.jpg
    Spikes 2 028.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 52
Wade no one makes a spike knife as nice as yours but now I know why all those trains are getting derailed. KT:s12137:

Awesome work!! I love it. I have a thing for spike knives, and I love seeing different things done to them.

Can I ask how you did the brass "spots"? Are they tacks going into the spike, or just through the rawhide?

Thank you all for the comments. You are the BEST!!!!!
Broomhead, They are call brass spots and they go through the rawhide and then bend over. Here is a pic.

Wade

Brass.jpg

I was an Engineer for the railroad (UP & HB&T) for 30 years, around RR spikes all the time and I never collected any. My BAD for sure! Like yours at the top and the sheath...

Thank you all for the comments. You are the BEST!!!!!
Broomhead, They are call brass spots and they go through the rawhide and then bend over. Here is a pic.

Wade

View attachment 45360
I learned a lot about leather work out in Tombstone, Ariz from two guys, Big Ed at San Pedro Saddlery and W S Brown at his Saddle Shop. Out west they call them harness spots. I use them a lot and they do add a lot to a good sheath, holster etc......

Back