"Ragnar's Dream" is now reality

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
After several attempts at the rawhide wrap....putting it on, then tearing it off because I didn't like it, I finally nailed it! Now it's ready for the Blade Show!

The finished product is stacked "W" pattern, with an edge of 1084. Handle is Bocote burl, and of course the rawhide wrap.

Ed, That looks great! What did you use to seal the rawhide? I've got a couple I'm working on that I want to do a basic handle wrap on.

Hi Mark!

Over the years I've used different things to "dress" rawhide, but over the last several years, I've gone to either leaving it in a "raw" state, or in this case I waited until it dried and then rubbed in caranuba wax. Whatever you do/use, remember that you don't want to put anything on it that will "relax" it.....or soften it enough that it stretches.

I believe this will help to secure Ragnar's throne for many years if he can keep it away from Lagertha.

Ed,
That is one fine piece of work! I love the shine of edge in contrast to the Damascus pattern of the head.

Bladegrinder,
That is Bocote wood. Pronounced, Bo Co T-A.
Its a Mexican central American hardwood that grows in small groups of trees and runs about 6-8" across.
It renews quickly so not only is it beautiful, easy to work, but you aren't taking trees that take hundreds of years to grow. I use it after its been stabilized for my culinary knives. You can use it not stabilized as well. I just got a 36" x 6" x 1 1/4" piece to trim into blocks before stabilization.

Marvellous! The pattern on the head speaks for itself, I think everyone here can appreciate that...but the rawhide really gives this piece a character of its own. Glad it finally worked out Ed.

Back