Quiver and bow case

ChuckBurrows

Still dealing with some chronic health issues (and other things) that have slowed me way down, but I finally got something done....

This is a pre-1850 quiver and bow case made of heavy brain tanned elk with early Cheyenne style pound bead work. Other deco includes fringe, brass beads, tin cones, horse and human hair. The base of the quiver is made of 5/16" thick neck hide the arrow points from dulling with an outer cover of rawhide to keep the points from poking through.

While not a direct copy it is based on several originals

quiver-2012-palmer-1.jpg

quiver-2012-palmer-2.jpg

quiver-2012-palmer-3.jpg

A belated Christmas gift it's a companion piece to this SW style knife and sheath and Cheyenne style pipe bag ---

wild-goo-2010-28-01.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Chuck..
'tween the heat, fires and now torrential rains in the cloud country it's good to hear your head is still poking out.....

Yep still kicking here Randy and the heat and smoke finally let up - the rains haven't been too bad here and they were sorely need after weeks of plus 90 F temps and humidity in the 3-10% range.....

Garry - I don't count hours anymore but I'd guesstimate about 60 for this set.

As for my beaded Indian/Scout/mtn man gear, funny thing is about 10 years ago I came close to quitting doing any frontier gear with bead work which had always been my first love since age 8 (I'm 59) - I had gone off in another more modern direction for a while with my leather work and then on top of that my brother in-law got invalided and I gave him my beading stuff for therapy. A couple months after that though I got some longhorn beef stew bones from a neighbor and after boiling the meat down I found a hock bone that just sort of screamed war club to me. I asked a friend, knife maker Gib Guignard, if he wanted to forge a blade for me and then we decided to do a companion knife and sheath. That re-fired my 40+ year passion for "frontier" gear - due to my back issues I also found it was easier on my bod then the heavy stamping and tooling work I had gotten into and now I prefer doing this type work more than anything else and so far the fire in my gut is still burning bright - it was my first love and looks like it will stay that way.

Here's the set Gib (RIP mi amigo) collaborated on -
CactusRose-01-Warclub-Set.jpg

I added a piece of deer antler to the hock bone for a handle and made it into a quirt/club. The knife has deer leg bone handle with a piece of deer antler for a bolster. The bead work is in the pre-1850 Absaroka style.

Last edited:
Back