quieting kydex.

Guindesigns

hey im still very new to knife making and still using kydex. Well im looking for a way to make kydex not as rough on my blades and not to make too much sound when you go to pull the knife and still get that tight fit so it doesnt slip. Any suggestions??

-Young pup.

That is a good question. Most of the people I know have resolved themselves to live with it.

The kydex is going to attract dirt and abrasives. Anything you contact-cement to the inside to deaden the sound and soften the touch on the blade is going to hold water, against the usually waterproof nature which I feel is the biggest draw of this type of material. I'd recommend putting a lengthwise hand-finish on your blades to minimize the appearance of inevitable scuffing. Be careful finishing the mouth of the sheath because any sandpaper grit that gets in there will scrape the blade and bolster/handle where the kydex grabs. You can with experience get the fit tuned so there's a very small "plick" sound as the knife snaps in and out instead of a big snap, a lot of this is also keeping your fasteners close to the mouth of the sheath so there's less resonance.

Last edited:
I have thought about trying a sheath of kydex on the front and a heavy (9-10oz) leather on the back. Yes the leather will hold moisture to some degree, but so will a standard leather sheath.
Also check out up armored sheaths, they line theirs in leather:
http://uparmored.tripod.com/id52.html

I've used a "peel and stick" material that was super thin velvet. It came in colors and I used black. Danged if I can remember where I got it but its out there somewhere. It very wear resistant and contours well.
Sorry I can't remember where it came from but I think it's imported and used in baggage. Ohio Bag is out of business I believe.

google self adhisive velvet you will get loads of different kinds i put it on the back of my kydex holster thats against my skin . sweet ideal bruce.

I use synthetic suede material purchased at local fabric store. It comes in all tactical colors. I spray a Loctite brand adhesive on both surfaces and let it set up well, preferably overnight. Then I mold it at 290 degrees and finish it out as usual. Works great, prevents scuffing and silences the blade perfectly. I just don't store the high carbon blades in the lined sheath. Hope that helps....

Back