Quick and dirty knife

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
Quick and dirty knife, hatchet added

Hi all
I liked the concept of this knife but now that I forged it I’m not sure. This guy is forged finished 5160 with a edge quench and tempered at 400 deg. The blade is too thick at ¼” but I would have to grind all the forged surface off to make it thinner. I did make a small screwdriver / pry end on the handle. I may grind it down and throw a pair of scales on it. Any opinions are welcome, positive or negative
Brad

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91
  • knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looks good to me, Brad! 1/4" thick is just right for some guys and their knives, I think you got the grind about right for that thickness anyway. If it's a field knife I would say you're on the right track.

I like it just as it is. That's a great way to keep costs down but still provide a very tough, hardworking knife.

I like it... A lot... I have done several knives from 0.262" 5160 stock and don't thin them much at all, except for getting them slick on the sides. There is something extra reassuring about a blade that is that thick at the ricasso.

I decided to add a hatchet to my little knife, sort of set. The hatchet is 5160 edge quenched, around 3/8" thick. What do you guys think?
Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 10
I am planning a hunting trip this fall and think that those need feild tested! I like them alot. That is a really nice set.

Back