Questions for adding KMG style tooling arm to square wheel grinder

Winterbear

Ok so I have a old Olympic 3hp 3ph variable drive 4x72 square wheel grinder, what this means is I have clearance on the belt side of the frame to add a tool arm holder and arm similar to the KMG and run 2x72 belts. My questions are is a 1inch square arm adequate for supporting various attachments flat platen small wheel etc? Follow on question is for the tool arm slot is 4.5 inches enough to support the tool arm? I will try and post some pics tonight. Thanks Chris

Ok so I have a old Olympic 3hp 3ph variable drive 4x72 square wheel grinder, what this means is I have clearance on the belt side of the frame to add a tool arm holder and arm similar to the KMG and run 2x72 belts. My questions are is a 1inch square arm adequate for supporting various attachments flat platen small wheel etc? Follow on question is for the tool arm slot is 4.5 inches enough to support the tool arm? I will try and post some pics tonight. Thanks Chris

hi, first off this is JMHO. my KMG uses 1 1/2" thick wall square tube, which is more than adequate. the thick wall will allow you have tapped holes to attach with. i think 4.5" should be ok, but i would use two locking bolts. 4.5" would not give you much travel, so you would end up with multiple arms. hope that answers your questions.

Scott thanks for the input. The1inch bar I have is solid, I assumed that most makers we reusing solid stock not tubing. Biggest issue with using 1.25or 1.5 for the arm would be spacing to get the belt on center of the tracking wheel. I think 1.25 would be closest but I think I am going to try the 1 inch since I have a lot and see how it goes. Chris

ok so decided to go with the 1 inch bar for two reasons first I had it and second by my initial measurements that would get me very close to centering the belts on the wheel. So far all steel out of the scrap pile so no cost yet, always good right. Mocked all of the pieces up several times before I remembered to take pictures. had concerns with clearance so moved the tool holder up and clipped the top rear corner. Here is what I have done so far.
using the top plate as a drill guide.
grinder3.jpg
all bolted up.
grinder1.jpg
and flat platen mocked up, using .25 steel plate puts the belt within 1/8 or less of being on center.
grinder4.jpg

let me know what you think
Chris

Back