Question on folder bushings

I started out in '05 just peening with no bushings. Tony showed me how to use the bushings and I've never looked back. Once you do it you will love that you can literally pound the Crap out of the pivot pin (with in reason) and the clearance remains consistent.

I use a 10 degree reamer and ream about half the hole.
The smoothness of the action depends on the tang shape and the way its finished as much as the pivot.

I hope this helps.

Do you mean you ream about half the depth of the hole?

Yes....well not quite ....maybe .045 -.055 on a knife with bolsters that are .120 thick. With the bushings you can move quite a bit of material.

Hi just saw this thread and I have a Schrade LB7 that has a worn blade pivot hole that makes the blade move up and down when open and locked, and I was thinking of boring it out and using a bushing, the newer US made LB7s have them.
LB7 in question is a older one with a serial number and obviously no bushing :)

Also where would I get a bushing/bearing sleeve that would work with a LB7 and 1/8 stainless pin stock. I saw in the thread something about K&G? Link?

Thanks,

Snorkel

knifekits.com has bushings. USA knifemaker has roller bearings, but that would be a big mod to the schrade.

knifekits.com has bushings. USA knifemaker has roller bearings, but that would be a big mod to the schrade.

thanks for the info, but those are to big, I would like to retain the use of a 1/8 inch pin.

Checked out texasknifesupply.com and they had some bronze 1/8 ones that should work fine. Now I just need to know if a cobalt drill bit will be able to bore out the pivot hole on the LB7 blade.

Thanks,

Snorkel

Back