Question on belts

Jason Volkert

I have been trying a lot of different 2x72 belts to figure out what I like. So far I have found a 36grit ceramic 60grit ceramic both VSM and I have found a 220grit Norax belt that I like. I have been in search of a 120grit belt. Has anybody found a 120grit belt that they like?

The Combat Abrasives 120 ceramic is my favorite. But VSM is a close enough 2nd that it doesn’t make sense for me to buy one belt separately from the others. The VSM belts are the best value I have found.

The Combat Abrasives 120 ceramic is my favorite. But VSM is a close enough 2nd that it doesn’t make sense for me to buy one belt separately from the others. The VSM belts are the best value I have found.
Yeah I think VSM is a great value too. I am very happy with the 36 and 60 ceramic. But not the 120 maybe I got some bad 120s or something

Yeah I think VSM is a great value too. I am very happy with the 36 and 60 ceramic. But not the 120 maybe I got some bad 120s or something

It is entirely possible. As with any manufactured product, there will be batches or runs that aren’t perfect and make it through QC. To us as knifemakers, 20 belts seems like a lot. That’s probably the whole order in one grit. But that’s probably representative of 2 minutes run time during the manufacturing process where the coating hopper got low and the backers were getting sprayed a touch light. I have no idea if that’s what happened, just an example that makes sense to me.

I like the VSM belts, there are 2 different models. The XK885Y is for high speed, heavy pressure grinding, and XK760X is more of standard type ceramic belt. Tru-grit is starting to carry Hermes ceramic belts, I ordered some of the 220 grit to experiment with, and have been real happy.

Back