Question for Paul Long

SHostetler

Paul,
I'm in the process of making a pouch sheath lined with deer skin. I purchased the deer from your source (I forget their name). The sheath is VERY "grippy" ro sticky holding the knife VERY securely. You really have to tug on it to get it out. Is this normal? Do I need to allow more space? I made this sheath the same as usual when I used veg-tan linings.

Thanks
Steve Hostetler

Steve, the softer deer skin will seem to grip the knife. It will normally loosen up considerably with use. BUT........ the problem you describe could also be that the sheath is just a little bit small, or that you got hold of a piece of thick deer skin. If it is just very snug then break in should solve the problem, but if it is extremely hard to insert and extract then I think the sheath was just patterned a little too small.

Paul

I've got a question Paul.
Blade only sheath:
Does it have a means to carry, stud, loop etc., or is it meant to just cover the blade?
Is it normal to have a retaining strap or would that be optional?

Thanks
Mark

Mark, blade only sheath generally does have a belt loop and also generally has a retention strap (most of the time over the guard). The stud in this case is used for the purpose of "buttoning" the retention strap.

A sash sheath is the same sheath without the belt loop. Everything ends at the guard of the knife. The stud is used in this case as a stop to keep the knife/sheath from sliding all the way through when inserted in the sash or belt. A removable retention strap I call the "bow tie" is what I use on this type sheath. It is dual end and goes around and behind the knife handle just above the guard and then both ends hook up on the stud.

A blade only slip sheath is for blade cover only and has no other purpose, no provision for carry etc.

Paul

Back