Question for Grizzly users

Jerry Bond

Is it normal for a 5yr old Griz to blow the starter capacitor?
Mine went down yesterday and that is the only thing I can think of that could be wrong with it.
I'm not much of an electrician so I need some advice please---Thanks, Jerry

Jerry, There are only a couple of things that can go bad with this motor, The starter, the clutch and the Mine went bad and I had to sorta kick start it, I ordered one from Griz. and installed it.. solved the problem.. Its location is under the motor.. easy to replace.

On there web site theres a schematic of the machine that is very helpful, and there tech support team it the best. I cant remember who I spoke with, But he was able to look up what parts break or are replaced often on these and we diagnosed the problem and I was back up and running in a few days.

When I was ordering I also ordered and replaces the 2 other major interior parts that can go bad, and replaced them at the same time.. Cost 68.00 I think.. and 1/2 day to tear it apart and then set it back up.. Having a perfect running grinder, Priceless.

Good luck.
Randy

Randy, I took the cover off the very bottom, and the only thing under is [Capacitor--Cap.400mfd--wv125vac] was written on a round cyl apro 1 3/4dia and apro 4" long.
And also the switch. Now the switch says 250v and it being 110 I didn't think that could be the problem.
I just had it on for about 20 sec and turned it off to change belts and pull the switch and absolutely nothing happens. Yes there is power to it.
I found the capacitor and part # on their website but not on their pre-made parts list to order.
So I am going to call after I get back from taking my wife to the hosp for pre-op.
Had to completely do the scales by hand and my 6x48 last evening and that SUCKS.

Jerry, Call and get tech support on the line. They will talk you through it and help diagnose.. The Capacitor--Cap.400mfd--wv125vac Is one of the things I replaced. Also 2 pieces inside Here is the schematics http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g1015_pl.pdf I called to place my order..

If this helps, I replaced parts number 22, 12, and 7. And mine runs like a new one! :) After tearing it apart it looked like I only needed two parts the 22 and 7 but I replaced all three.

On a side note, The switch on yours may be the problem.. Because I could at least start mine, just had to give the belt a pull at start up to get it rolling.. Even with 2 bad parts it would try and run! :) If it were me, I would get the switch and capacitor when you order, Bot parts are fairly cheap, and easy to replace.. if it solves the problem.. your golden!

Good luck. and God Bless

I don't own a Grizzly, but I can tell you from experience that sometimes parts just fail. I'd troubleshoot the switch before I dropped the money on a new capacitor. If you have a continuity tester or a muiltimeter, it's a pretty simple test. Sometimes the contacts inside the switch corrode or work loose. It has nothing to do with the voltage rating.

Andrew, I never thought of that, but I don't have a tester anyway soooo.
I called Grizzly and ordered the switch and the capacitor. The order was $26.70
delivered to south Ms. This way I should have a spare part or 2
Thanks for the help--Jerry

26 bucks is cheaper than I thought it would be... Might as well get a spare part for that price, even it if turns out you don't need it for a while.

The push pull switch on mine broke with in a year. I replaced it with a toggle switch (made sure if had the proper rating) and have had no problems. I decided to go with a toggle switch rather than getting a replacement because l didn't like the mechanism in the switch design.

Hay fellows , It was the switch,$3.60, Maybe I should get an extra to keep on hand.
I really hate to be completely shut down.

Glad to hear you got your problem worked out. Depending on the quality of the switch, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have at least one extra on hand. You may even be able to replace it with a switch you can more easily find locally.

I wouldn't bother with having a replacement switch on hand. If it breaks, put a better switch in to replace it. If you saw how the switch was made, you'd probably put a different one in. I used some 1/8" Micarta to make a plate to cover the switch hold and also to mount the toggle switch.

I also had to replace the switch on a cheap tabletop sized Delta wood cutting band saw.

Ric

Back