Question about washers & bearings

MUAlum13

This may he a dumb question but I just got into knives so I apologize in advance. So I understand there are different deployment systems; manual, spring assist, automatic, & bearing assist but when it comes to washers are they found in all deployment systems minus otfs? Bc Ive seen ppl ask if a knife has bearings or washers and I always thought those are different things. A bearing is a deployment system type and a washer is what helps the knife rotate WITHIN whatever deployment system. Just confused. Silly question I know. Also, I just got a QSP Parrot which I love and its insanely smooth to the point I thought it has bearings but I guess it does not. Ive always assumed manual knives are stiffer...I never knew a manual could be so smooth. What makes 1 manual be so smooth compared to another?

Thanks guys. Got SOO much to learn!

Some flippers and such actually use ball bearing pivot setups whereas other folders may only use pivot washers of varying materials.

Some flippers and such actually use ball bearing pivot setups whereas other folders may only use pivot washers of varying materials.
So would the ones that use just washers be considered manual? Bc I always thought bearings are a form of assist so the knife isnt a manual bc it runs on bearings but washers are still manual?

Bearings are manual. their used in place of washers at the pivot pin of the blade. they offer no assist in opening the blade.
In assisted opening folders there is a cam the tang of the blade rides on and as it's opening it get to a point on the cam that gives it a bump to assist it's opening.

I guess they theory is that bearings make for easier and smoother opening or, as the cool kids say "deployment." They can be a bit of a hassle if yo take your knife apart. Kinda cool though.

A manual opening modern knife (most all custom knives) use either washers, or bearings. Never both.

Bearings are essentially a small race of ball bearings trapped in a washer. They ARE the washers.

There are some modern quality knives, like FRN models of spyderco knives, that make very good knives with neither bearings nor washers.

If you have a knife and you have to "flick" it open, it's manual. Flick requires movement of the wrist.
I would respectfully disagree and say this is not correct.

I've handled many manual bearing folders, custom and production, that fired so hard and smooth and quickly that people assume they are autos or assisted.

I've handled a few (my own included) that fire that same way on washers. No wrist action or flicking whatsoever.

In fact companies and makers pride themselves on actions so smooth that no wrist flicking is required.

Bearings are manual. their used in place of washers at the pivot pin of the blade. they offer no assist in opening the blade.
In assisted opening folders there is a cam the tang of the blade rides on and as it's opening it get to a point on the cam that gives it a bump to assist it's opening.
Ohhhhhhhh I get it now. Jeez Im dumb. I always thought bearings are a form of assist which is what confused me and started all of this. Smh. I get it now 100% Thank you!

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree and say this is not correct.

I've handled many manual bearing folders, custom and production, that fired so hard and smooth and quickly that people assume they are autos or assisted.

I've handled a few (my own included) that fire that same way on washers. No wrist action or flicking whatsoever.

In fact companies and makers pride themselves on actions so smooth that no wrist flicking is required.
That's fair. My EDC is like that. Funny thing is, it's just a worn out old Gerber. No bearings, probably not much left for washers, either.

As fast as a lot of my switchblades, too.

Back