Question about the best abrasive belts...

SpeedyGonzales

Greetings,

I have two questions...

1.). What is the highest quality (longest lasting) fine-grit belt that I can buy in the range of 600 to 1200 grit. I'm looking for 2 x 72" belts.

2.) I've seen 2 inch belts cut in half length wise to run on a 2 x 72" grinder... Can a belt be cut into thirds and still be stable on my Beaumont grinder?

Thank you!

There is a heavy blue backed U936 grade Norax, with white abrasive, that lasts ridiculously long - the downside is that they're not very flexible at all and the structured nature of the abrasives will leave "corn rows" at times. The life on them is absolutely amazing, though. They are available down to 9 micron, 1500 grit equivalent.

I have run used belts split narrower than 1 inch, at low speeds, to achieve certain ends. You don't have a lot of stability with them that narrow and tracking can get interesting, but it works.

I agree with Frank Hunter on the U936 belts which are in fact ceramic engineered belts. I make only liner locking folders. I grind my blades after heat treat. I start with the 100 grit belt and use them all except the 35 - so far -. They create a very consistent even pattern that I believe helps in getting the finish I want. Frank

Speedy,
I just have not had good results with those Norax or 3m engineered belts. Obviously others do?

Now for handle work of woods and synthetics I get Hermes 346 J weight for finishing in 600-800 they have a orange backing. The last about one knife handle but the only cost around $3.00 each.

I have split them in thirds for some applications. They will move around a lot at the width.

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Ive only had one belt so far on my Beaumont grinder... Its a bright orange heavy grit and it's lasted forever.

For metal Cant beat cork belts in the higher grits. They don't last for a while they last for years. Trugrit.com

Back