Question about old coal/coke forge?

bubba-san

I recently bought a 365 lb anvil and forge (big one ) with hand crank blower it works perfect . The owner threw this little thing in for the heck of it , I haven't seen one like this ? I know it has some parts missing? I don't know what they are ?? Has anyone seen one like this ? It appears to have had an electic motor at one time ? May have been converted , or it came that way ? whats missing ?almost looks like heavy cast iron BBQ pit ! I took the blower apart , bolts were rusted and frozen so I drilled out bolts and replaced them . Can any one give me some information about it . Maybe it was farriers forge ? I would appreciate it . I was thinking about replacing shaft and convert to crank blower ? It has lead bearings .! Also pictured is other forge complete with crank blower and hood , with exhaust Pipe ....... Bubba

Last edited:
Bubba-San, most of this type forges were called rivet forges because the old steel riggers used them to heat rivets but the Rail Road and Military also used portable forges with hand and electric blowers. Of coarse we can't forget the farriers and blacksmiths that traveled . Great find, fire it up. Champion made most of the blowers but there was a ton of smaller forge and blacksmith tools manufacturers, I have a Singer post vice.
365# anvil? Serious iron!.....Randy

Back