Quench tank

believerjoe

I asked a friend about a quench tank and we found some scrap that already had a bottom welded on and was used for some larger application. He added handles and a lid and then we sandblasted it. Silver was the only paint I had, so there is that. It’s heavy, but cost me nothing. Any issues with it? I was going to use Parks 50 so I never had to worry about pre-heating, but then reading up I was changing my mind. Too much to learn.

Attachments

• F19A50EE-A1E8-4077-A28C-72A07E10E8CB.jpeg
    F19A50EE-A1E8-4077-A28C-72A07E10E8CB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • F4294032-C37C-4D97-A3B7-F3C2DFB25941.jpeg
    F4294032-C37C-4D97-A3B7-F3C2DFB25941.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
It weighs 60 pounds empty and the base plate is half inch. I am thinking it is going to last forever. I am still learning and got lucky on this, but making a knife in trade. I have lots more knife questions, but still in my little corner experimenting. Trying to decide if I want to continue and build up my tools or just keep farting around.

2 feet deep and 6.5 inside dimension of square tube. It is very robust. 4 gallons inside of oil if full, but a little less to allow it to not run out. I thought I could drop a hunk of steel in the bottom I’d I wanted less volume.

It weighs 60 pounds empty and the base plate is half inch. I am thinking it is going to last forever. I am still learning and got lucky on this, but making a knife in trade. I have lots more knife questions, but still in my little corner experimenting. Trying to decide if I want to continue and build up my tools or just keep farting around.

Probably more like 2 forever's! ;)

That is 10 times better than anything I have used for a quench. Four gallons should be enough volume unless you are doing multiple quenches in a row. That thing is cool, I love the flip over top. If it flames up flip the top over no looking for your top. I though my metal 5 gallon bucket with lid was cool...

That is 10 times better than anything I have used for a quench. Four gallons should be enough volume unless you are doing multiple quenches in a row. That thing is cool, I love the flip over top. If it flames up flip the top over no looking for your top. I though my metal 5 gallon bucket with lid was cool...

Thanks! I am adding a small piece of rubber to the lid so that when it is closed, no dust gets in there.

I was thinking for both. I will have to see what I can find. I don’t think it matters that much, but I could be convinced. I was going to load it with Parks 50 based on things I was reading and just use 10x steels. I am just in my garage with limited tools so far.

Use a silicone gasket. They aren't as Fireproof as asbestos but it won't have any health issues associated with it.

Don't drop anything in there to reduce the volume. You want a minimum of around 3 gallons to avoid the oil getting heated above it's usable temperature range while quenching, especially if you are going to heat treat more than one blade at a time. If you check the data on Parks 50, you shouldn't get it above around 120 degrees. Parks AAA is different. You do need to preheat it.

So let me ask y'all....the oil affected more by the number of blades or does time degrade it if only used occasionally? How to tell if the quench material has gone bad? btw that's a cool quench tank, one I think I'd copy.

@believerjoe To seal the lids on my tanks I put a bead of hi-temp forms a gasket on the lid and cling wrap on the tanks close it up and when dry the wrap peels right off. I think your supposed to keep moisture out and pretty sure you should try to avoid flare up. Maybe I'm being to cautious.

Back