Quench Plates

F

Fitz

Is 3/16'' aluminum thick enough for a set of quench plates(for cpm 154) or does it need to be closer to .250.

Andy

Andy,

I purchased 1" thick plates - reading elsewhere I remember someone using 1/2" plates.

Stand by for a few of the more experienced guys to chime in.

BC

3/16" is not thick enough. You need more mass to pull the heat away fast. Go at least 1/2" and 1" is better.

I'm with Rusty,I use 1-1/2" X 12 X 12 Aluminum. Blade at room temp in about 90 seconds.:D
Stan

Excuse me for butting in. Where did you guys buy these large plates? Does it matter what alloy of aluminum, i.e. 5052, 6061, etc?

Last edited:
The alloy isn't all that important. Aluminum conducts heat at pretty much the same rate across them all. Copper is actually better but it's insanely expensive right now.

Thanks Tracy & David. One more question if you don't mind. Can you bolt two plates together to get the 1" or 1.5"? For example, 2 pieces that are .5" each or 2 pieces that are .75" each. I haven't calculated it out but I am guessing that might lower the price a bit?

That sounds like its worth a try to me. Apply some electrical heat sink compound between the plates for best results. I find thinner scraps much more easy to come by.

Thanks Tracy & David. One more question if you don't mind. Can you bolt two plates together to get the 1" or 1.5"? For example, 2 pieces that are .5" each or 2 pieces that are .75" each. I haven't calculated it out but I am guessing that might lower the price a bit?

I'd say yes if they match up well. The thermal conducting paste will help but if the plates are flat, you should be OK.

Back