puukko-like from old file and old board (birdseye maple)

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,

Here is a simple knife that I made to get a fun break from the swords and fittings. It was also a way to recycle a file. I use Don Fogg's advice from one of his web posting (from the good old days, when one could read the words of the master and relax, and view his web album for inspiration). He suggested starting each new sword project with a new file. I come close to doing that, so I get a collection of used files. Plus, here in CT, there is so much moisture in the air that water condenses on EVERYTHING and rusts it (milling machine, anvil, files,... .

Nowhere to hide anything on this one.

Ribbet.jpg

Ribbet.jpg

Ribbet.jpg

Ribbet.jpg

Ribbet.jpg

Ribbet.jpg

comments are welcomed!

thanks again,

Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, George, KT, Wade...
This is a shape that I just love to make. I like the challenge of crisp lines with the ridge and fitting the bolster without a ricasso (and I hate trying to get plunge cuts just right).

Plus, I accumulate a lot of old files, and this is a great size of blade to make 2 of from a 12" file. The files are the thicker ones you get from industrial supply rather than the crappy ones you get from Wally World or Home Deep Hole. More steel, better files, and more stock.
kc

Looking good! I was planing on starting a puukko yesterday once I got my grinder wired up. Was yesterday Friday the 13th? Is today Saturday?

Back