Proof that "Mr. Murphy" is alive and well!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Well, looks like the next batch of Damascus Pens is delayed. Was turning Damascus pen barrels this morning and the lathe (Grizzly G4000) locked up! After troubleshooting, and tearing down the carriage/apron, I find that the cross feed worm gear, and it's power gear are shot! It's not too terrible, about $50 worth of parts, but it's the 6-10 days of down time waiting for the parts to show up that stinks. Glad I kept my old mini-lathe....it's terrible slow going, but I guess it's better then nothing!

On top of that, after several days of a bad cough, I went to the Doc this morning, and he informs me that I have pneumonia.... and the hits just keep on coming! :) He says a heavy dose of antibiotics and some steroids should knock it out. I've been susceptible to pneumonia since getting in during an overseas tour in the military, but I guess my current lung issues make it more likely then ever. ):

It's always something Ed. Murphy's been here in my shop/house too.

Hang in there Pal. Take care of your health before anything. Don't overdo it.

I work field service on manufacturing equipment and tell my customers to schedule when parts break so I can pre order them. After 20 years they still won't listen!! ☺

I hope you feel better, Ed. If you look at the bright side at least you don't have to feel guilty about resting since you're waiting on parts. What would really stink is to be down for a few days resting and THEN have the lathe take a dump on you when you're ready to get back at it again.

Take care.

Ed,
Mr. Murphy???

Maybe he had the parts broke so you could put your feet up and get some darn solid rest until your are better?

You won't get anything done if your in the Hospital!

Get better soon!

You guys are right. Feeling much better today. I think the antibiotics and steroids are working..... steroids always make it hard to sleep for me, but at least today it doesn't feel like I have a truck parked on my chest today! :) Maybe today I'll just piddle around and not get too serious about anything.

I think it's about time to go look for a new electronic collar for Blade..... he's doing well, but is certainly in his "teenager" mentality. Maybe a shopping trip to the sporting good store is what I need. :)

Sounds like a plan! I love Labs, but you have to survive the first three years of non-stop puppy... That's what makes them so wonderful, but boy is it a full time job.

ED, feel better soon! Mr Murphy must have Santa Claus's magic sled and reindeer, because he was over at my house the day before yesterday too.

you have to survive the first three years of non-stop puppy

AMEN to that!! :) My biggest problem with Blade is that he has a rug fetish.....if he can get to the edge of a rug, the entire edge(s) end up as "threads" all over the floor. Funny thing about it is that he ONLY does in my shops.... not in the house. I guess that's a good thing, otherwise Momma would have his hide.

Mr Murphy must have Santa Claus's magic sled and reindeer, because he was over at my house the day before yesterday too.

I believe it! That guy sure does get around! :)

Sounds like Blade doesn't like it when your working and not giving him attention. :9: Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Might as well order double the parts to save yourself a headache next time.

Hope you AND your tools are in full working order in no time.

Even with the lathe breaking down, and having to wait on parts/use the OLD Mini-lathe, I managed to get the latest batch of pens done! WHEW! I'm processing pics right now, and hope to have the pens available on the website over the weekend.

Here's a sample pic:

I managed to get this batch of pens finished out, using the OLD mini-lathe that I kept around the shop, but what a slow, painful process. :) Still waiting on the parts to fix my main shop lathe. I'm gona throw something out here for opinions. Once the parts to repair my main shop lathe get here, I can't help but have the thought in my mind..... "OK, this machine is starting to break down.....is this the start of it becoming a "money pit"? Here's my current lathe: http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-19-Bench-Lathe/G4000?utm_campaign=zPage

I purchased it approx 4 years ago. I'm struggling with whether to keep this one, and fix it as things go down/break....but it's that nagging thought in the back of my mind as to whether I can trust this machine to be usable when I need it. Parts are available, but it's 6-10 days to get the parts here....and the down time involved that has me second guessing things. I'm actually considering upgrading slightly to this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602?utm_campaign=zPage but not sure if it's actually worth it..... I'd just be going up slightly in capacity, but still buying the same brand of machine. For me it's like this..... after looking at pretty much every machine that is the size I need (what I can fit into the shop), they are all pretty much the same, they seem to be just like the smaller surface grinders.... all made in the same place/way, but with different name brands/stickers, and wildly varying prices for what appears to the same machine(s).

Throw out your thoughts/opinions...... I'm sure you folks will have some thoughts/opinions that I've not considered.

Well..... I got the lathe fixed, at least for now. I was concerned that the replacement parts might vary slightly in size from the originals.... and I think I might have been right. The worm gear bore doesn't exactly match the original part (about .015" larger) ....and because of that the shear key that rides/carries the worm gear on the power drive threaded rod, slips out, causing the power cross feed to not work, and forcing me to take everything apart and put the shear key back in place. I've peened the shear key in place, and it's working for now, but I suspect this is gona cause me no end of problems. Guess it's time to start saving for a new lathe.

Maybe I missed it but are you making the whole pen mechanisms in these? There stunning. I ask because I have made around a hundred hand turned lens and was curious if you make the actual mechanics of em.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In the past, and every now and then in the present, I have/do make the entire mechanisms. Most of the time I use "kit" parts, in order to keep the prices at a "buyable" level. Creating the entire pen from scratch takes about 5-6 full days of work, and the end product sells for more then $1K...... VERY FEW will pay that money for a finish damascus pen, so in order to lower the selling price, I started using "kit" parts. Their not as unique, nor as nice, but it allows me to price the finished product in a more realistic range for buyers.

I'd love nothing more then to make then all from scratch, but then I'd likely sell only a couple of pens a year, versus dozens at a time by using the "kit" parts, and keeping the selling price down. :)

On another note.....I'm now in a battle with Grizzly. The first set of repair parts they sent were so far out of specs that they simply would not work. After waiting another week, they sent more parts to replace the bad replacement parts....and while they are closer in specs, the specs are still not even the same as the worn out parts! So now I'm at almost a month without the lathe working, and likely waiting on a third set of replacement parts. Frustrating to say the least.

The kicker is that I've been looking closely at replacement lathes.... and can't help but notice two things.... 1. Everything is the size I want appears to be the exact same machines...just different paint and stickers. 2. I simply cannot locate ANY metal lathe in the size I want, that is U.S. made.....they are all made in China. So I suspect it's going to come down to having to buy another Grizzly lathe, and just consider it a "throw away" item....because the sure can't seem to provide me with replacement parts that will actually work.

Last edited:
Back