Profiling recommendations for a new guy

kbog

Hello Folks,

I have profiled about 2 dozen blades now on a KMG grinder. I have been using the flat platen for everything - profiling and beveling. Right now I am enjoying learning to flat grind grind. It's coming along, but slowly...but coming along...

Because I do not have a band saw (next major tool), I must grind away a lot of metal when I'm profiling. I have already created a substantial indent in my platen where my work rest attaches. Here are my questions:

1. Should I be profiling with the 10" wheel I have to be "preserving" the platen?

2. How much dent in the platen is too much before flat grinding is becoming problematic? I'm afraid that at this stage in my game, I may not even notice that the platen is screwing me up. I tend to grind higher than the dent, but cannot be certain if I am occasionally dropping onto it. Actually, I am certain the knife is on and below the dent when I turn it vertically to "surface" grind the steel. I've been doing that more with the CPM154 I bought to get rid of the decarb layer and get to the shiny steel underneath.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Keith

I profile with the wheel on my Hard core Products grinder and after flat grinding a few blades on my KMG or hardcore platens I take the platens out and true it flat again on a 4 x 36 or my flat disk grinders.

The rubber on the wheels helps the belts eat off the steel quite a bit easier.

For most any heavy grinding such as profiling a 10" wheel seems to cut a LOTS faster - and cooler - than a platen. I'm just now learning about wheel. They also have the added attraction of forming a "hollow" for the wheel to follow allowing a more even grind line on the bevel. A smaller wheel might even work better than the 10" wheel for this feature?

Ken H>

I use the wheel to get as much of it profiled as possible then swith to the platten. One thing you can do is put a cermic glass liner on your platten. I have used one for several years and there is almost no wear visible on it. USA knifemaker dot com sells them.

Back