Problems with finishing my micarta canvas scales

Goot

For some reason, I can't seem to finish my tan canvas micarta scales without them looking blotchy. Example below. The dust generated by the coarse grit sandpaper is getting trapped and locked in by the finer grits. I'm brand new to this hobby and I was wondering what process you guys have to avoid this issue because I can't seem to figure it out. I'd like to get a glossier finish that brings out the design. Do I need a buffing wheel? Thanks!

20210108_093959.jpg

Buffing usually makes it worse. Finer grits can also make it worse. Sand it to 400 grit and rub it down with WD-40. It will bring back the color and give it some shine.

it appears you are not getting all the scratches (micarta evenly sanded) out from courser grits before you move to finer grits. Don’t change grits until any of these telltale areas are gone. I sand my micarta up to 600/800 wipe it with alcohol to ID any spots and then buff. Patience in the progression grits of sanding should eliminate those concerns.
I really like the way you did the profiling!

it appears you are not getting all the scratches (micarta evenly sanded) out from courser grits before you move to finer grits. Don’t change grits until any of these telltale areas are gone. I sand my micarta up to 600/800 wipe it with alcohol to ID any spots and then buff. Patience in the progression grits of sanding should eliminate those concerns.
This ^^^.

Great thanks! I'll give it another shot.

Keep sanding those areas more and make sure you have a fairly firm backer to the sandpaper, too. I use cork and a piece of very firm EVA from fishing rod handles. If you look at your pin, you can still see scratches on it, so those scratches will be in the handle material most likely, too. Coarser micarta like burlap and canvas can take more sanding to remove all of the coarser grits scratches. You can also try wet sanding, wiping the handle clean between grits.

Back