Problem with Makers mark on AEB-L

BobbyD

I use the Personalizer Plus. I bought my stencils from I M G. I also bought the knife makers pak of Solutions. I was instructed For marking to use electrolyte 94 for carbon steel. No problems there. Was told to use electrolyte 600 for marking stainless. I cannot get a nice dark Mark with it. I have Tried more power, more time, just can’t get a nice mark. What are you guys using?

more time on both Etch and Mark. it’s a balancing act between marking long enough and melting the stencil. Apply... count to 10, lift.. a few strokes...repeat 5 times on etch. Mark for 30 seconds.

I use a 12 v AC/DC variable power supply that was initially for school lab use ( bought used on Ebay) it is 6 amps. I use it at the full 12 V and 6 amp

I first deep etch then switch to darken the mark- each pass is held for just a few seconds- and I do about 6 times each.
I got my stencils and etching solutions from TUS- I use AEB-L almost exclusively. mark.jpg

yeah, longer etch time. I generally do a 10 count 9 times for the etch and then half that (or a little more) for the mark.

Hey BobbyD. Have you tried the PermaBlue trick? Take a look at this thread if you want to try it. PermaBlue Looks like you are getting a decent etch This will help the mark stand out a lot. I have my personalizer plus set on 3.5.

Hey, off the wall question maybe, but by any chance were you marking before you hardened the blade? I noticed AEBL won't really acid etch when annealed, but will after hardening. Just wondering if that could be the issue for etching a mark too?

Hey, off the wall question maybe, but by any chance were you marking before you hardened the blade? I noticed AEBL won't really acid etch when annealed, but will after hardening. Just wondering if that could be the issue for etching a mark too?
Here is a scrap of AEB-L that hasn't been HT'd- just put a quick vine design on with nail polish- then hit it with just the mark voltage- came out same as if Heat Treated IMG_20200708_133808__01.jpg

Thanks guys
Called IMG and talked with Dave and he told me what try and it worked. Now we are talking about marking not deep etching. The top mark is with power #5 and Electrolyte.600 for 3x 5sec holds the bottom is power 5 and elecTrolyte#94 for 1x 5sec hold. I also used a little more electrolyte on my pad. So I got better results with more power and different electrolyte.

01725CF1-5263-4B89-BC14-45E67757DCD2.jpeg

Back