Probably a dumb question but...

W

Wolverine666

I know this may seem like a lame question to some of you but I just need to know : Can you adjust the blade centering (of a folder) by tightening/loosening the main pivot screw ? Thanks.

Some times,you can also loosen up the frame screws and hold the blade centered and tighten the screw up to adjust it.
Stan

The most common reason a folder blade appears "off center" in the closed position is due to pivot/pivot hole clearance, AND the pressure exerted by the lock bar (on a liner lock). Obviously there must be enough clearance between the pivot and the pivot hole to allow the blade to freely rotate through it's range of motion.....this is why you read many of us harping on drilling and then REAMING pivot holes in blades and liners.....the closer the tolerance, the less side play. The trick is to ensure the pivot tolerances are tight, PLUS the maker must ensure the force exerted by the lock bar is correct.

OK, now that I've said all of that, IF the tolerances of a folder are tight and correct, tightening or loosening the pivot screw will make very slight differences in how the centered a blade is in the closed position. Ideally there should be no change, however, everything in knifemaking is somewhat of a "give-n-take" situation...if tolerances are dead tight, loosening or tightening the pivot screw should not make any difference in the blade's "center", but with tolerances that tight, the blade would not easily move through it's range of motion. Hence, the "give-n-take" that I mentioned.

If the pivot pin holes in the frame are not concentric to each other the blade will tend to lean to one side also. Take care when you transfer the holes from one liner to the other. Dan

I agree with all that has been said. So all I have to add is. There is only one dumb question in all the world for all of time. The one unasked. If you don't know ,you don't know.

Back