Pro-Cut/Craftsman wet grinder build.

Fred Rowe

There has been a lot of discussion about the advantages of grinding edges "Wet" as well as grinding bevels after heat treat. I've gotten into making some kitchen knives, that are on the thin side and therefor require grinding after heat treating.
I've had both of these grinders pictured in the video since I started making knives. The Pro-Cut VS was purchased in 98, the Craftsman 6 x 48 is a left over from my days as a cabinet maker.

The Craftsman base was stabilized with the addition of a support for the 5/8 inch shaft that used to carry the belt. The Craftsman is cast steel and the Pro-Cut was mounted by drilling and tapping this base. The 1 1/2 hp DC motor along with the control was mounted on the Craftsman base as well so everything moves in unison. The blue paint job was the result of left over cans from a previous project.

We just finished this project and have only had a short time to test it out. I sharpened all the W2 kitchen knives in the house and believe the effort was well worth while.

Happy grinding, Fred

[video=youtube_share;FCfVLwJCd-I]https://youtu.be/FCfVLwJCd-I[/video]

That's a cool set up Fred. More proof you don't need to break the bank to get a decent grinder. It must take a little getting used to the mist on your knife.

Brad,

I love to recycle equipment and besides my cash cow is dead and its a necessity. Working with mister is a little different but it doesn't take long to get used to. Its nice not having to pull the blade from the surface of the belt to cool it and therefor there is no need to keep track of the heat build up under your fingers. I'm getting some really nice edges with it and thats where the proof of the pudding comes to the fore.

Fred

Great job!! Wet grinding has been a long time discovery, but somehow has been lost in our knifemaking toolbox.
Kudos to you for your rigg...i hope others will follow.
Is there a pump or is it just linked to the tap water?

Great job!! Wet grinding has been a long time discovery, but somehow has been lost in our knifemaking toolbox.
Kudos to you for your rigg...i hope others will follow.
Is there a pump or is it just linked to the tap water?

Thank you! The mister was purchased from Victor Machine out of NY and operates using a vacuum hose, which goes in the 5 gallons of Kool Mist machining coolant, the other hose runs to the air compressor and has a solenoid valve in the line so the system can be turned off and on with a switch @ the front of the grinder. I got a chance to grind on a hardened W2 kitchen knife .079 @ the spine. I used a Bubble Jig with the blade positioned in a grinding clamp when grinding. This is going to be a wonderful addition to the shop. Not having to lift the blade from the belt, but instead, just keeping the bubble centered and working different areas of the blade was a very different experience. The grind was completed in a hurry. I can't wait to try the next one.

Fred

Now I'm thinking of setting up a mist system on my grinder

Do you have any specs on the pump

If you have air in your shop this is all thats needed. Check out the NOGA Mini-kool magnetic fluid dispenser. They are 94.00 @ Victor Machine in NY. They are really well made. The mag. base is the type you switch off and on by turning a switch, the air and fluid both adjust for volume and pattern. I have 4 of them running in the shop on my milling machined. We run Kool-Mist in them. No rust on the blade surface, water based and cheap to run.

Fred

Great info thanks Fred!

Fred, I am using Microsol 585xt on some mist units on my grinder, but I have found that it puts a fine mist in the air all over my shop whereas it did NOT when I was using plain water... this gets oil all over everything after a while. Do you find the Kool mist coolant to do the same or does it pretty much stay contained right there at your grinder w/ a little on the floor?

We switched to the water based coolant because of this issue. Having a film of oil on everything in the shop isn't pleasant to work around. The Kool-mist, being a water based product is less offensive to work with but I still had to install "wipers" along the belt to suppress the airborn mist. Another trade off like many machine issues.
With just the little I've worked with this wet set up I am willing to make adjustments so I have access to this technique.

Do you have pics of your wet set up?

Fred

Hey Fred how long do you think that five gallons will last you? I've always wondered that with kool mist style setups that don't recycle the liquid.

Also do you happen to have any info on Pro-cut? I have two drill presses by them and I really like them but I can not find any information on them. Thanks!

-Clint

Hey Fred how long do you think that five gallons will last you? I've always wondered that with kool mist style setups that don't recycle the liquid.

Also do you happen to have any info on Pro-cut? I have two drill presses by them and I really like them but I can not find any information on them. Thanks!

-Clint
Hi Clint,

The flow is really low on the fan pattern mist. I've been using the same 5 gallons for a couple of weeks and its used little of the liquid. I run the same misting system on the Bridgeport, now it eats the Kool Mist. I can run 5 gallons in an after noon run on the big mill.
People have suggested just using water with a non rusting agent in it. This is why I use the Kool Mist, nothing takes on rust when using it.

I've had the Pro-Cut for a lot of years. It was my first grinder and its been a good grinder. I've never replaced anything. I don't know if they are still being made.

Fred

Thanks Fred, looks like I'll be adding a kool-mist to the never ending list of tools and equipment I have. At least they are reasonably priced imo.

On the procut I can't say I'm surprised with your experience. I have two drill presses and they are really nice and made well. I also have a Jet in the same size and don't need this many drill presses (I could keep them but I'd be sleeping in the shop :D ) but I'm almost inclined to keep the Jet just because I know I can get parts for it. If anyone has any info on them I'd really appreciate it. My google-fu is pretty good but the best I've seen are a few smaller mills folks were selling, never a website or alternate brand. Nada...

-Clint

Back