Post here for design critique.

This will hopefully be my first hidden tang hunter. The knife it self is larger then I usually make 4-1/4" blade with a 4-5/8" handle. It might be be a little much for my current skill set. I plan to have it finished for the ABS Intro to Bladesmithing class at the end of February. All input is welcome.

20190109_171922-772x1029.jpg

Last edited:
This will hopefully be my first hidden tang hunter. The knife it self is larger then I usually make 4-1/4" blade with a 4-5/8" handle. It might be be a little much for my current skill set. I plan to have it finished for the ABS Intro to Bladesmithing class at the end of February. All input is welcome.

View attachment 67024

Any reason you made the clip shorter on your blade than the way you drew it?

Is this blade shape any better? Still not quite where I want it but I’m going to have to make a blank and get it in hand. I’m just not feeling it on paper.

Dimensions are the same except I narrowed the width on the blade to about 1”

898AADB9-1754-454E-B5A3-B3F751D6FE5C.jpeg

@Kevin Zito that looks great! I really like how you drew the line under the knife so you could keep the handle from dropping past the cutting edge. Hadn’t thought of that. I’m going to take all the advice I’ve gotten and redesign the blade with the advice I’ve gotten not happy with my design. Thanks for the help fellas!

@Daniel Macina, I drew this up this morning. With a little refinement, I think it may work for you. Let me know what you don’t like, and I can play with it. Personally, I’m not crazy about my design. The top looks weird to me. However, I normally draw something like this and then tweak it on the grinder. View attachment 67075
Kevin that drawing is fantastic..................HECK i might make one

Last edited:
Back