Polishing homemade micarta

Can I some tips from you guys on how you polish your home made micarta? And do you prefer a grippy finish or a smooth glassy finish?

I have only made paper micarta so far and so a grippy finish is not the desired outcome. For canvas (commercial) and similar I prefer the 100grit finish for the grip it gives.

This is an interesting subject. I agree that canvas micarta sanded to 100/120 grit is a grippy finish. But in my opinion doesn't look good. On the other hand wood is highly polished to 1000 grit and beyond and I wouldn't consider that grippy.
As far as polishing micarta, I typically start hand sanding at 180 grit and take it up to 800 or 1000 and then buff it. I like the way it looks.

Mine is pretty close to opaul's. I do the initial rounding and shaping with a 220 belt on the 2x72. Start the hand sanding at 220 and go to 800 to 1000. Buffed with white compound and then with no scratch pink.

p1e.jpg

gme0001.jpg

IMO I like the lower grit finishes on micarta something about it just screams Use the crap out of me I CAN TAKE IT!!! On second thoughthought I could just be envious of some of the handlesame you guys are cranking out. They are Stunning!

I do 220G then spray and wipe it down with WD40. I've not tried it myself but I've seen some that do a Super Glue finish?

Back