Pocket Pearl

Buddy, Nice size, looks great. I really like mop but am afraid I would scrap out a good chunk of money if I tried using it. Dan

I didn't quite understand that comment. It's a beauty, Buddy !! Perhaps dan van believes pearl is soft or brittle. Not so if it's good pearl. As well it is easy to work, and then it can look soooo beautifull as well. Yes I do really love the pearl shells. Frank

Thanks for the comments guys.

dan van, I do get a little nervous when I drill MOP. I always use new drill bits and keep it wet with water when I drill it. I broke a piece of black pearl on the band saw one time--that hurt!

Van, that's one of those remarks that is not true. Like Buddy said, use sharp bits and cutting fluid or water. I'd be very careful of how you go about cutting it. Dremel discs work well. Support the pearl underneath with some flat wood. Do not cut on say an open vise. Pearl that has cracks on the bottom is junk, don't even bother trying to use it. Frank

Buddy and Frank, Thanks for sharing your advice, I'll feel a bit more comfortable knowing what to do when I try using mop. Thanks, Dan

Steve makes many lovely pearl scaled folders. Maybe he will even post a picture or two of one that is gone if he doesn't have one on hand. I've got to learn to post pictures. Frank

Hey Dan pearl is great stuff that doesn't move or shrink and is as hard as some bone. In the last few years the larger sizes are very hard to get and very expensive. Once you get ready to use some ask again for information. I'll just bet it will impress you too. Frank

Frank, Thank you for the information and support. Hopefully I can make a mop handled knife soon. Dan

I have bought a fair amount of pearl and havnt drilled it but it sands really nice. A fine blade on a coping saw cuts it easy. Very nice knife by the way . Kellyw

Back