pocket magnifying glass

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
My son got one of these for Christmas. I borrowed it to check one of my test strips and two knives I heat treated; it revealed more than just my eyes could tell me. Here's a photo of what he has.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Micro...546302255&sr=8-10&keywords=pocket+microscopes

There's different magnifying glasses available on Amazon. I was thinking of getting my own but I'm not sure what magnification power I need.

There's an app for that. I have the Mag-Light. It's free. Variable magnification and lighted. It works well for me. I just checked the App Store and found that there are many such apps.

My son got one of these for Christmas. I borrowed it to check one of my test strips and two knives I heat treated; it revealed more than just my eyes could tell me. Here's a photo of what he has.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Micro...546302255&sr=8-10&keywords=pocket+microscopes

There's different magnifying glasses available on Amazon. I was thinking of getting my own but I'm not sure what magnification power I need.

This looked interesting. Just grabbed one on Amazon.

There's an app for that. I have the Mag-Light. It's free. Variable magnification and lighted. It works well for me. I just checked the App Store and found that there are many such apps.
Wayne, there seems to an app for most anything these days. I'd not thought about a magnifying app. I just downloaded and it's neat and works pretty good. Thanks.

That's interesting Wayne, I had no idea something like that even existed. It might be possible to upload photos of my results with my phone if I had internet.

I thought one of my knives had silky grain until I looked at it closer with his pocket microscope. I'm wondering how powerful one would need to observe grain on a knife that's been snapped. Maybe any magnifying glass will do as long as things still look smooth.

This looked interesting. Just grabbed one on Amazon.
I will have one soon. I bet you can start a fire with it as well. I like triple use items.

They are pretty cheap. I was about to get a couple myself just to have around if I lost one. There were more expensive ones (even wireless) that had different magnification and that's what threw me off. Maybe it doesn't matter.

the problem with going higher in magnification is that depth of focus gets less as magnification increases.

I already have the magnifying app on my phone, but it’s really just a digital zoom function. The other issue is that you have to brace the phone to keep the object in focus.

I like that magnifier you posted because it has a fixed foot to hold against the subject to know where your focal point is, like an old school loupe for looking at photo negatives.

Good post. my eyes are not what they were.

I have one which fits on top of your head with a double eye piece but without a light, helps very little for me

I had the same thing happen today - grain looked good at first but not under the magnifying glass.

I'm not sure when to call it good. Even silk doesn't look silky under a microscope right? I'm going to search around for photos for nice grain.

I have a very old pocket magnifying glass with two lenses that can be either used together or separate. It belonged to my Dad. It's quite small but quite useful.

Talk to Kevin Cashen about grain, etc. Search his posts here on KnifeDogs.

I will search more here later... but I did re-read the HT toolbox.

I am finding some good pictures online today...finally. Getting some good shots of fine grain and answering some questions.

Thanks all.

Back