Plunge line struggle

Ahh, okay. I did watch some of his videos early on so I bet that's where I saw it. I haven't posted this anywhere. I just made it out of scrap that I had laying around.

2 pieces of angle iron and a flat plate. I put the slot in the bottom for the bolt so I could have a little more adjustment as I wasn't real sure where exactly it would need to be.

View attachment 73363
I am totally making one of these tomorrow. I am guessing it just rests on that top wheel?

Mine is above the wheel actually. I didn’t like the idea of it resting on that idler. Pretty decent moment about that top bolt from the belt tension which is why I tightened the crap out of it. Hasn’t moved since :D

Pretty much. I used a small cutoff of a larger piece of angle iron from my rolling mill project to connect the lower angle iron and the top platen. I welded it to the top and bolted to the angle iron below. So, technically, 1 piece of angle iron, 1 very short piece of larger angle iron, and a piece of plate. Not saying this is the best way to build, but it works for me and was pretty easy.

Not saying this is the best way to build, but it works for me and was pretty easy.
Then it was the best way...Thanks, I will make mine tomorrow and give it a try. I am interested in using this method in conjunction with the one Ed uses so that I end up with the scratch lines going horizontal when I am finished. I will see how it works.

I tried to fix the plunges by moving the file guide back some and using Ed’s method. Man did I make a mess lol.

I tried to fix the plunges by moving the file guide back some and using Ed’s method. Man did I make a mess lol.
It took me a few knives to make it work but it does work. I have more success when I leave my file guide on during the plunge clean up.

I can’t tell you how difficult getting plunges has been with only one arm/hand....Ugh! :(

I don’t get each one perfect as some do.... but then, aren’t WE in fact our own most harsh critics? I’ve come to be deeply thankful for the gifts with which The Lord has blessed me.

Back