Please critique my practice grind

Josh Dabney

Hey fellas,
I just wanted to throw this out there and hear some opinions from the dogs about this grind.

It's just practice ground from 1/8" mild steel but I wanted to try it out and see if it still appealed to me . It's a combination grind that's hollow on the main grind and convex on the tip. The clip is also hollow gound.

Keep in mind this is just rough ground with a 60 grit blaze and no refining of the grind lines has been attempted.

I'm thinking about an end product of 3 1/2" Tactikool-EDC-Tanto in ATS-34.
Should prove to be rough and tough enough for daily abuse yet maintain a very thin and wickedly sharp cutting edge.

All comment encouraged and appreciated. Love it ? Hate it ? or Indifferent please let me know what ya think and what could be done to improve upon the design.

scrollsheathlaced005.jpg

scrollsheathlaced006.jpg

Thanks alot guys- Josh

looks good,

you seem to be a little to gentle with your plunges, worse on the left hand than the right (assuming your grinding edge up)

the clip and secondary bevel came out very nicely

I say not bad at all. Looks a lot better than what I am trying to accomplish with my 2x42"....lol

Keep it up, good job!!!

C

Looks a heck of alot better than I've been doing. Though I must say, this weekend I did much better than I had been doing. I'm seeing improvement in my work.

Keep up the good job. As you progress and refine the grind with finer grit belts, you should be able to clean it up a bit and straighten out the lines even more.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Stephan ,
I understand exactly what you mean about the plunges. I've actually done very well on my last couple getting the plunges nice and even. I was actually attempting to get a nice round sweeping plunge at the ricasso similar in style to what Phillip Patton or Jay Fisher may do. I'm not positive I'd want it on this perticular style blade but it's a skill I'd like to develop so I was throwing on there for the practice. The 60 was just a bit too aggressive for me to have the control needed to really work the plunge and if finishing this blade the grind would end up another 1/8 to 3/16" back toward the handle.

Murph,
Grinding for us newbs can be slightly aggrevating. One may be sweet the next trash, LOL. What really sucks is when one side of the blade is beautiful and the other resembles a hairy armpit :(

I think it's to a large degree spending time in front of the grinder and concentrating to get better. I have made noticable improvement already though.

Thanks again guys, Josh

Goin well,.. thats become a popular style of combo grind,.. as you up grits, it will be prettier of course.
All in all, ,just enjoy the ride. Every mistake you make ,while annoying, will teach you something for the next one bud :)

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Stephan ,
I understand exactly what you mean about the plunges. I've actually done very well on my last couple getting the plunges nice and even. I was actually attempting to get a nice round sweeping plunge at the ricasso similar in style to what Phillip Patton or Jay Fisher may do. I'm not positive I'd want it on this perticular style blade but it's a skill I'd like to develop so I was throwing on there for the practice. The 60 was just a bit too aggressive for me to have the control needed to really work the plunge and if finishing this blade the grind would end up another 1/8 to 3/16" back toward the handle.

I've seen Phillip Patton post pictures of his platen. It's actually got a curve to it, to help him with that plung. I haven't tried it, but made sense when he posted it.

Back