Please critique my basement shop dust collector idea.

Loosvelt

Guys please let me know what you think about my basement dust collector idea.

Because it is in the basement I want to reduce the risk of dust as much as possible. I only have a 2 x 42 grinder now, but will soon hopefully be going to a 2 x 72. Since I wont be frustrated as much grinding, i am sure I will grind more and want a good system in place.

(Quick Caveats, I am brand new maker who is super low volume and wouldn’t even attempt this at a high volume, I’m thinking 20-50 blades a year as I get going more. I will be using a wet ring glass saw to cut my G10 and other handle material to shape. I will also be using hand files to texture g10 as much as possible when possible, or my foredom outside. I will NOT be using the system to collect hot sparks. It will only be used for cleanup of steel dust after, and collect handle materials during grinding plus cleanup.)

I now clean up my shop religiously with my HEPA shop vac, and clean the air with a HEPA air cleaner, but it is my fear that the really fine dust that the HEPA doesn’t get is recirculated and doesn’t leave the the basement. (i use the water bucket under the grinder when on the 2 x 42.) My solution is to build a dust collection system that vents the really fine stuff outside. This is the plan.

I want to run two inch hose (high velocity) to a dust deputy (this will collect 99% of the particles, or so I hope).
http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000002&CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}
I will run two inch tube or four inch tupe to motor blower. Either 850 CFM or 1350 CFM. To run the 1350 CFM I will have to put in another 220 v line.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html

Motor blower will run to four inch ductwork which will end up going out the house through my dryer vent, after I install a Y system with dampers. If the motor blower does not have enough power to push the super fine dust out the house over the 10-15 ft of ducting I can install a 85 CFM in line fan for like $40 near the end.

The main questions I have, besides the basic one of, will this work well?

Would it be worth it to have the extra CFM and get the 220 v 2hp 1350 CFM motor blower? (if I did this I might just run my future grinder 220 also, so it might be worth it).

Do you think the motor will “push” enough air after it to push the super fine particles out of the house (10-15ft), or should I add an inline fan at the end of ductwork.

Do you think this system would work well, or am I missing something big.

I really appreciate any advice you can offer. Yes, one day I hope to not be as crazy and have a garage but in the DC area you have to live either 40 miles out or have half a mil.

The more CFM the better, If you can afford it go for 1350 CFM Motor blower.

Also it's very important that you wear a respirator as well as have these dust collectors running.

I have a Delta with a hepa filter on a timer that runs for four more hours after I have left my shop to try and catch the airborne particles that remain. You can make a cheap collector by using a box air fan and taping or fitting angle iron to hold a filter on the suction side.

I have found over the years that what I think will work great when I buy it doesn't always work as well as I thought and have learned to buy each piece of dust collector equipment etc separately and then add as I go and see how each unit works?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I believe it's all about velocity with steel filings. I have a 1 1/2 hp dust collection sytem running on a 2" collector - and to be honest,it doesn't come close to the performance of my shop vac. NOTHING will replace a good, full face respirator.

I don't remember who said it, but it stuck with me. "The only way to get this stuff out of your lungs is with tweezers - during the autopsy". Thanks to whoever said it.

Rob!

of course proper PPE is key. The velocity thing is what worries me too. Might be easier just to use the Dust Deputy and Shop VAC and then put a $100 900 CFM exhaust fan in the ceiling of my shop and run it out an extra 12 inch vent I have (old fireplace air intact i believe). Hopefully that would vent the fine airborne stuff left from the cleanup.

of course proper PPE is key. The velocity thing is what worries me too. Might be easier just to use the Dust Deputy and Shop VAC and then put a $100 900 CFM exhaust fan in the ceiling of my shop and run it out an extra 12 inch vent I have (old fireplace air intact i believe). Hopefully that would vent the fine airborne stuff left from the cleanup.

I think you are on the right track with this simpler and less costly start. I run a shop vac at each grinder and band saw then have the delta I mentioned along with the 12 x24 inch Hepa filters I had added to the central air & heat system of the building and my MSA Half mask respirator.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

If you are looking at higher production then a vented fan in addition to an industrial dust collector with a 5 micron filter will get the job done as good as you could hope for I still wear a full face 3m filtered mask while grinding but you cant be to safe. The large 5 micron paper filter for my 1hp dust collector was the best 250 bucks spent. It sits beside my computer and I have not cleaned the dust off in over a year. Kellyw

Back