Platen

your local glass shop. ask for pyroceramic

8 weeks really isn't that long. That gives you time to get acquainted with your new grinder. If you're going to put glass on your platen, you may as well try to wear it out first!

They can be purchased fairly inexpensive at your local glass shop. The last ones I got locally were 8 dollars a piece, I bought 4 and put three of them away for future use.

No 6-8 weeks isnt long and been messing with it.A grafite platen isnt worth a dime wearing out quick.I am calling the local glass shop this morning.Thanx guys.

Make sure you express the importance of the glass being exactly 2" wide when you explain to the glass shop what your looking for.

That's not a bad thing. It's the cheapest upgrade with the biggest results. $34 and you'll be set for a couple years. Glass doesn't go bad, so it's not wasted.

JB Weld. Most people will tell you to bolt on a shelf to support the glass to counter the shearing force from the belt running over it. I didn't. It's been about a year now with no sign of failure. My glass is nearly due for replacement.

I coated the platen with JB Weld and laid it in the glass. When I say coated... we're talking coated. Like a fat kid making a peanut butter sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you go to replace the glass how do youi remove the glass from the underlying steel? Or do you just replace both and start from scratch? Thanks.

If I may ask, What is the best way to attach the glass to the platen?

Generally speaking there are two schools of thought on this. One is to use JBWeld. If you ever need to replace the glass, heat it up to about 400 degrees. This will soften up the JBWeld and you can peel the glass off with a putty knife. The other method is to use 3M exterior double sided tape. A lot of guys use this method and the tape forms a significant bond with anything its stuck to. This can also be heated up to remove. Regardless of the method, you may also want to consider fastening a ledge underneath the glass, of the same thickness as the glass or less, and covering perhaps only an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of the platen. Larger if you're going to bolt it on, but most guys weld it on. Speaking of bolts, another way to form the ledge is with a socket head cap screw. Just tap into the platen and run the screw in making sure that the head of the screw is at or below the glass. You may have to countersink it a bit. The reason for the ledge is to protect against adhesion failure and keeping the glass from shearing in between the platen and the work rest...or getting shot into your foot. Some guys use no ledge at all and have never had problems. I've personally never read about anyone's glass tearing off due to not having a ledge but who knows. Its a simple addition and if it provides any level of peace of mind its worth it.

Thanks for the great answers and I like the idea of the ledge, I don't think you can be too careful with power tools. I have seen a lot of people with various missing body parts because they did not take proper precautions with machinery. Better safe than sorry IMHO. Thanks again..............CT

When you go to replace the glass how do youi remove the glass from the underlying steel? Or do you just replace both and start from scratch? Thanks.

Put it in the oven at 500fh for an hour, it will pop the glass off. Scrape the surface of the platen while it is still hot from the oven, the old JB weld will peal right off.
Now your ready for the new glass.
Fred

Yeah I did just wat Self made did.And it came out just fine the 2nd time around.I had to break in my wifes new toater over to get the platen off.I had it a lil off center.She had to have that thing but most likely wont use it.

Back