Plate quenching

I didnt think about quenching the smaller sized folding blades so I can see still being able to quench multiple bladess at one time with smaller plates.

Les, this is what it written in the description:

Moving jaw has slight inward slant that straightens as pressure is applied

so i assume they dont perfectly mate until a good bit of pressure is applied???

Tod: i heat all three together with a 30 min soak, after 10 minutes i pull one out and quench, ten minutes later another etc! the oven only drops 30 degrees when opening and is back at quench temp in under a minute, so 10 min between each is more then enough. when i quench one at a time i get much better results.

Im not sure I follow you on quench separately. Does that mean you only heat the blades one at a time or have 3 different sets of quench plates?

If I follow him right, he does it like I do, he has 3 in the oven and pulls them out and quenches them one at a time.

I follow you guys now. :)
My oven does not have a kill switch so I have to flip the breaker before I get in my oven to kill the power. That would not be an option for me but its good it was brought up and maybe somebody else can use that technique.cool 1

I generally do 3 at a time, but i quench separatly. so i can cut mine to be 11" x 4" x 1.5" thick.

I normally do one at a time or at most 2 in a pouch so I tend to think that way I guess. If the plates don't sit flat against the blank, you won't get the quench you are looking for. I think that wood vise will work great for 1 and probably 2 but not any more than that.

I have the wood vise set up for my plates. I only quench one at a time. I usually HT 3 or 4 blades at a time and just pull them out real quick one at a time. The temp doesn't fluctuate very much. I get very consistent hardnesses this way.
-John

Attachments

• dewclawandshop006.jpg
    dewclawandshop006.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 15
I also use a vice with 1" aluminum plates, though I don't have a quick release setup. I just open the plates slightly, slip the packet in, and tighten down. I grind to all but finish before heat treating, and the only issue I've ever had with a warp was from overlapping the folded foil over the tip of the blade. This caused the tip to warp away from the thick folded foil. I found my plates on ebay. It was actually one 12x12x1" plate that I cut in half.

--nathan

Ok, so before i pull the trigger and order a $120 vise.., so you guys are saying that it's not big deal that the jaws aren't flat??? as i said, in the description it states that one jaw is on a slant and that it straightens when pressure is applied. so you's dont think that this will effect even pressure on each side of blade???

Sorry, i just havn't got a direct answer to my question :p

Got it all set up, shimmed and rockin!! i used roughly .070" worth of thims to even it out as best i could i assume after a little pressure is applied it'll even right out. only off by maybe .005". i'll post pics in a few!

Back