Planning a Steel order

Jon Buescher

I just spent about 20 minutes on NJ Steel Barons website. My Cart says $236. That is just steels that I would be able to HT at home and look like fun to work with. I am obviously not going to order all of this. I just threw full length bars of all the shiny metal in the cart. What should I put back on the shelf?

Attachments

• steel order.PNG
    steel order.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
Have you checked out Alpha Knife Supply? I've been getting most of my steel there. They seem to have 1084 in stock most days.

I just spent about 20 minutes on NJ Steel Barons website. My Cart says $236. That is just steels that I would be able to HT at home and look like fun to work with. I am obviously not going to order all of this. I just threw full length bars of all the shiny metal in the cart. What should I put back on the shelf?
I don't order much .245 stock. I like 1/8 for most work and 3/16" for larger blades.

I am looking for 1018 steel for doing bimetal hatchets, I have decided not to use Oxarcs mild steel anymore due to problems forge welding, NJSTEELBARON is out of stock and Alpha knife supply doesn't sell it, anyone got a source they're willing to share? also wouldn't mind some thick 5160. I prefer to buy .250 x2" stock

If you are heat treating in a forge I would advise you to drop the 52100 and W2 because I am not sure how they respond to simple HT but I know the 10-series steels do very well. 80 CRV 2 I may also drop unless you have a thermocouple on your forge. Do not get me wrong they all will harden to some extent in simple HT but not to their potential. Just my opinion there are much better people here to answer this question. I would also check out Kelly Cupples as he is much better on shipping but has a smaller selection. Send me a PM if you want his email to get a price list.

Awwwww crap...I did not check sorry. I have a good source for A36 mild steel if that will do for your bi-metal project.

Back