Pizza wheel axle?

billyO

Hello all. I'm in the process of trying to make some explosion pattern pizza wheels for the holidays and am wondering if anyone who makes folders (@BossDog?) had any suggestions on what to use for the axle/pivot. My initial thought (using part I have on hand) was to use some large brass corby bolts that I don't really use with some teflon washers, but then remembered that I have an old 2015 USA Knifemaker catalog. So I started looking at folder parts and there are too many options for me to choose (bronze bearings, pivot barrels, sexbolt pivots, bronze washers, teflon washers....)
Thank you.

Lots of things to consider when building a pizza cutter. Bearings would be great, but then you deal with them eventually getting gunked up through use.... so you want to first consider how to make it durable, yet not in a way that will lend it to getting stuff packed in/into the pivot.

All things considered, sometimes the simplest solution is the best. IF the pizza cutter wheel is heat treated, I'd say go with something made of stainless, in a simply "through axle" type of arrangement. If not heat treated, then the same "through axle" in a brass or bronze pivot. I don't think I'd do washers.....that's just another place for "stuff" to get lodged.
I'm curious if you intend to finish the Damascus with anything? If you've not tried it, clear Gun-Kote can solve a lot of problems. ;)

Last edited:
clear Gun-Kote can solve a lot of problems.
Thanks, Ed. Can I assume this is food safe? I was just planning on oiling with camelia oil, which is what I do with my kitchen knives. The recipients already should have some of this from previous cutlery I've given them.
These are going to family, who understand and don't mind that many of the 'finer' things in life require a little care and effort to maintain. (Boy, could I go down a long road with this thought....)
One of the things I'm considering is making these easy to dis-assemble, to ease with cleaning.

While it doesn't specifically say, one way or the other about being "food safe"..... I've used Gun-Kote and another product called "MolyResin" on kitchen, and other cutlery for over 15 years, and have been selling blades with it for about a decade..... so far, so good.

I like your idea of being easy to disassemble! Maybe SS wing nuts?

the easiest and probably most robust method would be to peen a brass pin to hold it in place.

the easiest and probably most robust method would be to peen a brass pin to hold it in place.
Thanks, Tracy, and you are right, but then they can't be dis-assembled for cleaning or for for changing wheels.
Any suggestions on pivots that I should look at in your catalogue?

Thanks, Tracy, and you are right, but then they can't be dis-assembled for cleaning or for for changing wheels.
Any suggestions on pivots that I should look at in your catalogue?

A plain Pivot barrel to match the diameter of the center hole with screws. You could also use washers but they will trap food.

Thank you for the quick reply, Tracy. I'm going to try the 4-way weld today with the squaring dies I made, so hopefully an order (albeit small) will be forthcoming. It's my first attempt at this, so kinda nervous.
If anyone is interested, here's where I am currently:
20201207_092552.jpg

Update: The weld seemed to go pretty well:
20201207_144817.jpg
But unfortunately, the squishing didn't:
20201207_164940.jpg
I know what I'll do differently next time, but the forecast is for rain the next week+ and I have a few orders for damascus billets, so it'll probably be the end of the year before I get back to the pizza cutters. Thanks for the pivot suggestions, Tracy, and I'll place an order when ready.

Back