Pin or Solder Bolsters Question

Several ways to do this and none are really wrong.
I use 2ea 3/32" (3 on a large bolster) and JB weld.
You have to make sure none of the JB weld creeps into the pins or you won't be able to blend them in.

I can't remember the last time I used solder. Modern adhesives have gotten so good, there's no reason to cause yourself the grief the clean up that comes with solder use.
I am a big fan of pinning bolsters, and then use something like JB weld (VERY lightly) as a moisture seal.

Take CLOSE HEED of what Tracy said about the "creep". I had to learn that the hard way.... had a set of bolster where everything went together wonderfully....... then dufus me got thing hot when grinding/sanding, left it overnight, and the next morning there were these really UGLY dark gray rings around all the pins....... DUH!!! JB Weld. You would never believe that could happen on a tightly peened pin.....until it does! :)

I pulled up JB weld metal to metal on Google to check price. I did not realize there were so many choices with JB Weld. Do you have a preference. Thank you

When it comes to 2 part mixed adhesives/products, it's almost always a safe bet to say that the longer the cure time, the better the properties of the end product. In other words, go with the long set. :)

I pulled up JB weld metal to metal on Google to check price. I did not realize there were so many choices with JB Weld. Do you have a preference. Thank you

"regular" JB weld is in every home and hardware store. Often by automotive.

On folders, do you pin and solder the bolsters, or just do one of the two. Thank you in advance. Tommy

If you are just starting to peen bolsters. Look for a tapered pin reamer that will match your pin stock. This puts a conical shape hole in your bolster allowing the metal of the pin to spread out and lock in. It also blends significantly better than straight pin holes.

On folders, do you pin and solder the bolsters, or just do one of the two. Thank you in advance. Tommy

on slipjoints i spot weld the bolsters to the liner. then i use a torch and heat them to red. this gets rid of the visible spot welds. when it’s done the bolsters and liner look like one solid piece.

Attachments

• 91635308-B925-48ED-8D90-25E83F9DA831.jpeg
    91635308-B925-48ED-8D90-25E83F9DA831.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Hi guys, I'm guessing you have to jb weld before peening? Thanks

Edited to add: Ok, I guess that was a pretty dumb question. Just forget I asked that!

Last edited:
Back