Picked up a treadmill for the motor and electronics today... for FREEEE

BRad704

Its a Proform Personal Trainer Crosswalk, and according to the lady I picked it up from, the "belt" is bad and needs to be replaced and her husband found them for about $100. Now, I am assuming for $100, she is talking about the running surface, but I don't need that anyway!

I have not gotten to get it open yet, as I picked it up on my way to the office. Hopefully tonite I can get it open and check the specs on the motor.

As for feet per minute on a 2x72 grinder, what upper and lower limit should I be planning to build for? I would like to calculate my max necessary FPM and get that to match the fastest RPM for this motor.

I just got home and got the cover off/build sheet was still inside.

2.5HP Drive motor, 120VAC 60Hz

Neither the motor nor electronics are enclosed, so I do not know how long they will survive the dust, but I may make some type of enclosure for all of that.

It also has the electric incline motor that might get used for belt tensioning, if I try to get that fancy with it...

2011-03-07%2015.03.10.jpg

2011-03-07%2015.02.43.jpg

Let me know how many calories you burn on each knife.... and how many miles per knife.

I'll do that.... :D I guess I also need to log my heart rate before starting, and again just after gouging the spine of an almost completed blade... hahahaa....

I remember that thread... :) You are the reason I started looking for a treadmill. I actually put an ad on CL that I was looking for one with working motor, but that someone was ready to donate/trash for free. I had a call and 2 emails within 1 day.

I think I will use the extra arbor on my 2/3hp old bench grinder for a disk, instead of this one.

Just looking at things, I have plenty of steel here for the arm/frame to build my grinder as well. I think I'll load it back up, take it to the shop and build it there where the welder is. :D

I am SOOOOO excited!!!!

Wayne thats funny, I will think the motor wont last more than a couple knives with all the dust.

I'm gonna do all I can to build something to keep the dust out of it. Even if I have to get a 6" fan from walmart and have it sucking fresh air from the other side of the room.

Ok... I have some numbers based on what I currently have. The motor is rated at 6700rpm at 130V. I am just going to calculate from 6700 because it is the number I have available.

The drive wheel is 1.25", goes to another wheel (Dia=3.5") that is attached to the main roller (Dia=1.75"). That means the main roller is turning ~2400rpm at max, and the fpm speed using the main roller to drive my sanding belt would be 1100fpm. From what I have been reading, that is way way too slow... I need to max out around 4000fpm for heavy grinding.

So IF I could reuse the 1.75" main roller as my second wheel, my gear reduction would be much less and I would be at about 4700rpm on the drive wheel (roller) giving me 2300fpm. A little better, but I think a larger drive wheel may be in order.

Perhaps tonite I will focus on getting the motor and electronics mounted. At least that will give me SOME sort of start.

I know the left side needs to come up, I will address that when I get back to the shop. Another roller will go up above all this for the other end of my sanding belts. And I am thinking that I can have an 80gr on one side for hogging out material, and then a 120 or 200 on the other side for cleaning up.

Changing belts isn't going to be as easy as some of the big-time prefabbed grinders, but my goal is to try and make this TOTALLY out of the treadmill parts (plus a few nuts/bolts/washers). so far, I think its completely doable.

I will be cleaning up welds and hitting everythign with some primer before it is all done, and also adding some panels around the motor/electronics to keep some of the dust away from them. Plus a metal tray under everything to deflect hot metal sparks.

What I started with.
2011-03-08%2018.02.56.jpg

Rear View
2011-03-08%2022.00.26.jpg

Front View
2011-03-08%2021.59.41.jpg

Back