Peening scale pins in?

Fletch Helical

How exactly is this process done? I mean I know you insert some pinning material in there and peen it flat with a hammer. But is it necessary to ream/countersink the scales when you peen it? I'm wondering if it's possible to peen a pin in, then as your shaping the handle sand/file away the part that you peened? And if that is possible what the heck do you do then? :D

Or does everyone just slide a pin and and epoxy it in place and call it done?

I have some brass rod I bought a little while back and would like to use some in the future for pins. I've only made one knife so far and it was done with Corbys.

I'll shape the handles to about 90-95% complete before I pin them. I ream the pin holes to allow some room for expansion so when I file/grind the excess pin material off, there is still a good mechanical bond. Some materials shouldn't be peined though... mammoth tooth and other fragile materials will be prone to cracking. Hope this makes sense.

Are you shaping them off the knife and then putting them on? Or do you epoxy them on, do your shaping and then pin them?

Basically, I'll cut the scales out a little over sized, then shape the front of the scales before I put them on the knife. If I'm using something flat like wood or micarta, it's a lot easier to get the holes drilled straight if they are left flat, so I don't do any contour shaping until they are on the knife. After they are close, I'll pin them then clean everything up.

Fletch some guys feel the little extra over just glue gives them peace of mind . They worry the glue will let loose. I do some with just glue and some peened pendining the typ of handle and the type of knife and tang. Some times after i just sand off the excess and other time buff the heck out of it and leave it like a mushroom cap looking pin . The buffer cleans up the sharp edges .Dont ever glue up a pin thats to tight for sure if you tap it in with a hammer it will brak the wood maybee not right away but with time it will swell and crack. kellyw

I never peened pins on hunters and I made quite a few. The only time I had a problem was when I used some colored fiber for decoration on some kitchen knives. They would swell and the scales would pop out some.

Back