PCB Brownells compound

Luke Smart

It's taken me along time going through your WIP posts and have loved every minute. Actually I'm going through them again. I have a question for you. Do you use PBC on your W-2 blades that you use the clay when heat treating? It looks like the anti scaling compound is handier than a shirt pocket when it comes to heat treating. BTW thanks for taking all the time to share with everyone via your WIP's and any other postings you put up so that all of us can learn and drool.

Luke

Last edited:
LOL uh Bruce I meant PBC compound, not some strange drug. Sorry bout that.

Luke

Hi Luke,
PCP, isnt that the angle dust that gives an ordinary man the strength of three men? You cant buy that at Brownells.:D
I use ITC100 on my W2 blades as the clay. I ran out of it and need more or something else the next time I do a clay coated blade. The nice thing about PBC is there is so little grinding if any to do after the quench providing the application was done correctly. I could almost kiss the inventer of PBC.

Sheesh, I thought Brownells had everything lol. So do you first coat the blade with the PBC then apply the clay? Thanks again.

Sheesh, I thought Brownells had everything lol. So do you first coat the blade with the PBC then apply the clay? Thanks again.

I've never tried it that way but it might work good. To do a clay coated blade I grind it to 220 finish and fairly close to finished thickness, give the entire blade a very thin wash of ITC 100 and let it dry. Next coat the spine and tang with clay about 1/8" thick and be sure to match the opposite side. If both sides dont match the hamon will just be a straight line. Thats the only real trick I can teach you. Both sides need to match. Hamon lines are all different on every blade. Fun stuff.

Back