Paring Knife question

I do not use aeb-l.......does it still warp if you are heat treating the blade before grinding the bevels? I grind all my thin blades post heat treat.
I grind everything post heat treat. Don’t be worried about AEBL. All this talk of warping sounds way worse than it is. I make mostly kitchen knives so I’m always dealing with long sections of very thin stock (typically .070 - .110 )
I believe the warp is a function of length versus the thickness. I don’t think that I ever had to straighten a short blade or a thicker one. I also make pocketknives from .110 AEBL. The blades and springs never warp.

I do not use aeb-l.......does it still warp if you are heat treating the blade before grinding the bevels? I grind all my thin blades post heat treat.

Mine as it comes out of the H/T oven in the foil wrap always would start to warp but, when you put it between the aluminum plates for the plate quenching it takes care of any wrapping out of the oven. Where I get warpping usually is after temper (just started to use some angle iron to keep blanks flat) and during bevel grinding.

I grind everything post heat treat. Don’t be worried about AEBL. All this talk of warping sounds way worse than it is. I make mostly kitchen knives so I’m always dealing with long sections of very thin stock (typically .070 - .110 )
I believe the warp is a function of length versus the thickness. I don’t think that I ever had to straighten a short blade or a thicker one. I also make pocketknives from .110 AEBL. The blades and springs never warp.
I am glad you said that even though I have only made about 4 knives with AEB-L none of them took a warp. All four were .100 or thicker including a large chef's knife. I was starting to wonder.

Jesse, that is impressive ! Now my question is (dumbo alert !!!) Is it the tempering that imparts the springiness or the composition of the steel? Regardless of which it is , would you expound on it to teach me one more fact ?
Thanks

Bruce the heat treat plays a part in the flexibility but it's more the thinness of the grind. I have my Aeb-l heat treated at the Buck knife factory (Paul Bos) to Rc62. The reason for doing this was because it had a slight bend 2 inches from the tip. Normally if you grind the other side you can work the warp out. This knife was too thin to do that. So this was do or die. Then I had to video it.

This .070 AEB-L santoku has a 7.5 inch edge. It warped both lengthwise and edge to spine. I didn't have too much problem with the lengthwise warp but I chased the the other until it disappeared. That means it it thin.
I would love to see how far a sweet pea would fly across a cafeteria if you launched it off of that knife. I’m thinking miles lol.

Back