Ow! - a PSA

52 Ford

Was out in the shop a minute ago. Drew blood for the first time in a few months. Layed open the end of my pinkie on my left hand with a pair of av snips. With the handles, though. Not the blades. I just figured I'd point this out so y'all don't make the same mistake. (It's like a bad blood blister plus a nasty cut)

Much hurt - many ouch.

Where the handles pivot and sort of nest together is SHARP and on my snips it's tight fitting. I'm going to round those edges over with a Dremel next time I think about it.

By the way, I'm a fan of these Milwaukee snips. These are the long nose ones. Not only do they cut sheet metal and plastic, they work GREAT on fingers.

Attachments

• 20220328_204631.jpg
    20220328_204631.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Did indeed. Ironically, the part I was making didn't even end up getting used.

They are pretty nice, especially for the price. I think I paid 20 or 25 dollars at Home Depot when I was working for a building contractor doing siding. The long nose snips are good for vinyl siding and aluminum flashing.

I've had them for years and used them a lot. Well, sort of. Not a LOT, like an HVAC installer. But enough to form an opinion. I consider them my "good snips". The blades are still stupid sharp. Easily cuts paper.

My only gripe is that they're made in China and Milwaukee got bought by a Chinese company...

I hate seeing that little notifier of origin when I don’t expect it. :mad:
Not exactly the same thing, but how about that "This product is known to the state of California to cause cancer" crap?

I bought a 4" Mayhew brick chisel - one with the giant plastic guard so incompetent people don't hit their elbow when they're chiseling brick (??? The guard thingy is huge!)....... Anyway, Mayhew just put a sticker that says "Warning: Cancer" on it. Honestly, I thought it was so funny I kept that sticker on there as long as I could.

Edit: I should add - I say "incompetent people"... I SHOULD say "people that aren't good at swinging a hammer"... just doesn't sound as good. Doesn't sit right with me calling people incompetent... unless they earn the title, anyway.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk

An old joke in our house was me shouting up the stairs, "Babe, do you have a moment? Please bring the tape," As I held a filthy shop rag or paper towel over the newest slice I'm trying to not bleed all over.
In my newest incarnation after the layoff, I've ground off parts of three fingernails relearning, "Don't do that, stoopid!" First one did the trip between the workrest-grinder gap because me and that new DDD were having a hard time getting along. That's always a crazy few milliseconds, nay? :oops:
That one even bled for awhile. Worried I was gonna have to call upstairs, but I got it with a paper towel and blue masking tape. LOL

In this game, it's mandatory to sacrifice knuckle meat to the Grinder to appease his anger. If you don't, he will give you the 2" line of death when you dawdle in the plunges, or deliver upon you the dreaded THWACK! sound when you are making one of your final passes on a beautiful bevel.
Man, for all the knuckle meat I’ve given (and fingertips, and thumbs), he still must be angry with me. That 2” line still comes after me now and then!

Sorry, I forgot to offer. Who wants to see a picture of a jacked up finger? It's nothing nasty. Healing up well.

Honestly it isn't that bad... my hand is dirty... but, you know, grease, oil, welding smoke, coal dust, ash from the ash dump, more oil, dirt, then I forgot whatelse... I had a busy "ADHD" kind of day. Lots of projects intertwined.

Anyway, I think an "Ow!" PSA deserves a "This is what happens" picture. Cut about 1/2 way across my finger. Fortunately, I perform my left pinkie tip exercises religiously, so the shear strength of my pinkie repelled the brunt of the attack. Not sure why my shears bit me - maybe they want a more "plush" liner in the pliers drawer? I dunno.
4e915910d32de7ac5dcb5a97d5e93ebc.jpg

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk

Back