Ortur Laser Master 3

KenH

Well Chris did it again - cost me money. After reading his thread on the Ortur Laser Master 3 and how well it engraved metal I ordered one also. Got it yesterday and must say I'm well pleased with how well it works. Here's on example how well it engraves 64 Rc 26C3 metal:
IMG-4796.jpg
I'm still learning, not only the laser but also LightBurn program. The two guys who own and write the program sure do a good job. So far, I'm impressed with the program. I didn't even try the freebie program that comes with the laser, just downloaded LightBurn.

Chris - thank you for the thread. 10 watts of laser power, as well as the tiny dot used to condense the power does a pretty good job.

I have lightly sanded with 1200 grit, and really scrubbed with scotchbright and so far the etch is holding up good. The etch isn't very deep, but you can feel it and the engraving stayed dark even after hard scrubbing. Those two dots to the left of the hen - not sure what those are. Most likely in the surface before I did the engraving.

I use a NEJE Master 2 Mini (USB connection) to custom engrave all my wood sayas and scales. It doesn't work on metal but it's only $189. Works great and has a very small footprint. Clients love it for gifts and I use it to make $15 custom wine bottle stoppers to add to the table during craft fairs. Much more precise than a hot brand.

I still want something that marks metal, but I really don't want to drop $700 or more. There has to be a laser upgrade for the setup I have but I haven't found it yet.
1681302165416.png 1681302361416.png

How much cleanup is needed after the laser with a fully sanded blade?
Not much at all - I've really pushed by making several passes for a darker mark, and a few swipes with 1200 grit wet sandpaper cleans it nicely. Actually less than is required for electro-chem etching.

Not much at all - I've really pushed by making several passes for a darker mark, and a few swipes with 1200 grit wet sandpaper cleans it nicely. Actually less than is required for electro-chem etching.
I will second what Ken said and add that in the pictures I posted, I just sprayed that one with rubbing alcohol and wiped it down. Done!

Here's another use I found for the laser. Here's the first sheath I made with laser. I should have taken a photo before I sewed it up so the blade could be seen laying inside the welt. Here's the knife laying on top of sheath and you can see it fits pretty good. Next time I'll make the sheath a tad wider - I think it will look better.

edit: I forgot mention Chris who sent me his file for his KA-Bar sheath. It only took a bit of editing of his file for it to fit my KA-BAR nicely. THANK YOU Chris. :)
1682801477460.jpeg

Next is the knife in sheath. This sheath is more of a "draft" test rather than something that's planned for final product. BUT - you know how long it takes to do get "round to it" sometimes :) The shoepatcher is still sewing good with #138 thread.

1682801516550.jpeg

Here's the leather cutout pattern
Cut-Out-Leather.jpg

Last edited:
Back