Opinions on Mill Drill

I have been reading up on Mills and the G0704 is one that I am seriously looking at getting as well. I like the DRO on spindle feature and the Square Column. I just haven't figured out if the X,Y and Z capacities will be enough for what I plan on doing in the future.
The weight doesn't seem right to me @ 290 pounds and the G0619 @ 418 must be a misprint.

I have that machine. The weight is about right. The G0619 is a bigger machine. This is my first mill and there is a learning curve. I have melted some gears and blown the speed control and main control unit. Griz replaced all components for free but the machine has been down alot of the time. I think the issue was that I was using a three insert face mill that is 2 inches in diameter. I really dont think this light of a machine can use such a big tool. I will just be using it to slot guards and drill holes from now on.

I have been reading up on Mills and the G0704 is one that I am seriously looking at getting as well. I like the DRO on spindle feature and the Square Column. I just haven't figured out if the X,Y and Z capacities will be enough for what I plan on doing in the future.
The weight doesn't seem right to me @ 290 pounds and the G0619 @ 418 must be a misprint.

That is probably right, the G0619 is a much "beefier" mill in person.

It's more money but I would lean toward Enco and get a Rong Fu. If your patient you can catch them with free shipping from time to time. I don't mean to bash anyones stuff but the Grizzly equipment I've seen is all China and not too good. I've got a little lathe from them and I had to do a bunch to get it right and have a friend with a bunch of Grizzly stuff including a mill and it's not much punkin. I had to replace some parts which Grizzly did take care of but the machine was down.

The Rong Fu looks just like my old Jet and to my understanding the Rong Fu is made in Taiwan not China. My Taiwan made Jet has never given a minutes trouble and I've had it for years. I've got several machines (old and new) made in Taiwan and they've all been good. What I'm saying is there is a daylight and dark difference in the same machines that were made in China or Taiwan. You get what you pay for, I learned my lesson just trying to save someone else some headaches.

That said I have a friend that has several woodworking Grizzly machines and I have a couple and they are very good. It's their metal working machines that wont hold up.

Thanks for clearing that up John and Michael,
I think I will look towards a different Mill now. knowing that the G0704 is that light I want one with some more weight to dampen vibration for better cuts.
I still can see this unit working for knife making if all your doing with it is slotting guards.

Back