Opinions on knife.

jmforge

This is a little balde that I made for myself a few years back. I call it a Sab Francisco bushcrafter because I was inspired a bit by the balde and hanlde shape of the Michael Price and Will and Finck spear point bowies. Stell is 115W8/1.2442. It is a bit heavy because of the Micarta, so I made similar knives, the tang would be lightened by tapering, drilling or both and I would use wood. And no mustard. :D Wha do you gusy think about the design? IMG_0737 (1).jpg

I like it a lot! I made one very similar. If you want to lighten up even more consider a Hollow Grind. That's what I did on the one I made. I won't sell it its my favorite knife that I made!

Some heft in a bushcraft knife is not necessarily a bad thing. For a bushcraft knife it looks small in my opinion, possibly more suited as a hunter type knife.
I probably wouldn’t hollow grind a bushcraft style knife either, simply from a durability standpoint. Along those same lines I would most likely not run the bevel all the way to the spine either, again just for durability purposes.

Some heft in a bushcraft knife is not necessarily a bad thing. For a bushcraft knife it looks small in my opinion, possibly more suited as a hunter type knife.
I probably wouldn’t hollow grind a bushcraft style knife either, simply from a durability standpoint. Along those same lines I would most likely not run the bevel all the way to the spine either, again just for durability purposes.
It is a full flat grind, not hollow and the blade is like 3.75 inches. I don't do saber grinds and the stell that I would be using on futuere knive wuld be tougher than the standard 1095 or O1 that a lot of folks use. I use 1084 and Cru Forge V for simple knives and damascus and DH III W2 for the fancy stuff.

Missed the "Bushcraft" that's why I suggested the hollow grind. Like Kev said looks a bit small for a Bushcraft knife but to each their own!

I don’t know about the whole “bigger blade for bushcraft” thing. I’ve generally heard that the blade for your EDC should be about as long as your hand is wide, but maybe I run with a different crowd than most.

For my uses, that is the perfect size for an everyday working knife. I am also a giant fan of teardrop handles for working knives. I make a similar knife based on Murray Carter's "perfect neck knife". I'm not a bushcrafter and I choke up on my knives regularly, so I round the spines dramatically. I get the square edges thing for using a ferro rod, but again, horses for courses.

I like it a lot!

This is a little balde that I made for myself a few years back. I call it a Sab Francisco bushcrafter because I was inspired a bit by the balde and hanlde shape of the Michael Price and Will and Finck spear point bowies. Stell is 115W8/1.2442. It is a bit heavy because of the Micarta, so I made similar knives, the tang would be lightened by tapering, drilling or both and I would use wood. And no mustard. :D Wha do you gusy think about the design? View attachment 82245
I like it except ( :) ) for the sharp point of the handle grind at the ricasso. I think it is a great size all around knife and I second the lanyard hole comment.

I like it except ( :) ) for the sharp point of the handle grind at the ricasso. I think it is a great size all around knife and I second the lanyard hole comment.
It is actually rounded and tapered. But yes, if it was a more pure Price design, it would be flat to match the ricasso,

What I would think about making in the future would be bigger. This blade is 3.75 x 1 and I would probably want to upsize to 4.5 x 1.25. Proportions would be a little different as I would not incres the width of the handle at the "neck" by the full 1/4. So the "gaurd" would look a little longer, but not much. less than 1/8

Other things can govern how long one makes an EDC blade. Here in Illinois you can't legally carry a fixed, or folding, blade over three inches in length. Of course, when I lived in Virginia an officer said that the police aren't going to take a ruler to your blade unless it is way long.

Doug

Other things can govern how long one makes an EDC blade. Here in Illinois you can't legally carry a fixed, or folding, blade over three inches in length. Of course, when I lived in Virginia an officer said that the police aren't going to take a ruler to your blade unless it is way long.

Doug
4.7 (12cm) is the legal limit in Germany and 4 inches the limit for concealed carry in New York City. for a fixed blade, believe it or not. Still lots of laws to keep up with.

Back